Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Nick_Rivero
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any update on this @Airtable @Airtable_Admin? It’s definitely a much needed feature that we need. Is there any basic way to just source data from one base to another?

Tucker_Webb

Airtable you guys are a joke, how many forums I’ve read now and literally haven’t seen one reply from airtable staff. You guys grow too a big size and than just start ignoring your users? Lousy.

Fadwa_Kingsbury
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Airtable_Admin - any progress on this? This would be CRUCIAL for us as we have different business units operating globally that intersect in a few areas and to be able to link bases would be incredible.

Where do you all stand on this - it was on the product roadmap it sounds like a few years ago - any news?

Bill_Carovano
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I suppose this must be a really difficult change to make to the Airtable platform, because it’s a total showstopper that linking across bases isn’t possible. Airtable has enormous potential. Gaps like this (and lack of webhooks) prevent it from taking over the world.

Milton_Villarre
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ha pasado bastante tiempo, cuándo se va a implementar, es una función que muchos la solicitan y bastante útil, su implementación les traería aún más usuarios.

Justyn_Hebrock
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I 1+ this too. Grouping views into folders would also help. I am currently running about 30 views to work around linking bases. Also a view filter based on current user would make a huge difference in sharability and should be easier to implement. I currently have 5 views running for each of my sales reps to see only their data and if I had a view based on the user logged in, I would only need 1 view. I have the same going on for my support team. A view for each member.

Lukasz_Turolski
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Why hasn’t this happened yet? It’s 2020…

Ben_Schweitzer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

One more vote for this. Not having this feature seems like a massive challenge in using airtable efficiently.

Jonathan_Melgaa
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed! I was so excited to build out our workflows on Airtable (and pay for a premium subscription) but now will have to pause until this functionality is added.

egordin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Good news this morning on this front, at least in terms of permissions! From Airtable’s email newsletter today:

Beta: new editing permissions options

With your permission, we’d like to introduce a new beta for Pro and Enterprise users. This new beta will give you more options for limiting which collaborators can edit the values in a specific field and limiting which collaborators can add or remove records from a table . Interested? Sign up using this form!

I’ve signed up but obviously haven’t heard back yet. Really hoping that these permissions will expand to not just editing but also viewing, so that we can set per-user (likely per user role) permissions for access tables, columns, and views within a base.