Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I suspect it would be a ‘pro’ feature.

Paul_Clark
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This seems like a great idea.

Stephanie_Perri

I won’t speak for anyone else, but I’m personally not expecting linked bases capability to be free.

I would be happy to pay pretty much whatever they ask for this feature, because Airtable is hands down the best small-org information management tool we have tried, and linking bases would seriously solve every info management problem.

And I’m pretty sure they know linked bases would be a huge selling feature for a pro version, should they offer it.

Alvaro_Martinez
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I agree. If linked bases could solve granular access to data I would gladly pay for a premium plan.

ripwit
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 (or more) from here.

Still, I’d much rather have a full set of granular access rules to every facet of Airtable: Tables, Columns, Views, etc.

richard_rymill
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

My team and I at Smarter Business Processes would really like Airtable to Link bases and are very happy to pay for the pleasure. There is a huge gap in the market so if you guys at Airtable can make it happen then you will delight your users and win lots of people like us who are waiting in the wings for such a solution. We literally have dozens of our clients who could benefit but at present the lack of functionality is holding you back. Pleeese progress this?
In the meantime we have found other ways to satisfy demand using Appsheet and Smartsheet to create… wait for it… the effect of a Relational Database. Come on guys we need you?
Richard Rymill

Carol_Li
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Happy to pay and/or be guinea pigs or whatever if it means that you can link data from one to another. :pray:

Bradley_Ellison

+1 for me too.

I would like to see this happen for simple task management for using Airtable to manage projects.

I am assigned tasks across multiple bases, without the ability to centralise all ‘my tasks’ it is very difficult to know what I have in my workflow/todo list at a global level. I have to check half a dozen bases every day to know what has been allocated to me, and to my team.

Also, it’s quite concerning that this has been a popular feature request for almost 2 years now, with no progress.

Jordan_Lim
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

On board with the rest of the folks on the thread. New to Airtable and really diggin it so far, but would appreciate the ability to link across BOTH tabs and bases.

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I like this concept of having a global base (or even just a global table) that could be used across multiple bases. Having a single base that contains all related information gets too cumbersome when there’s only a few relationships between various tables. Conversely having say a half dozen bases with a few linked global tables (as essentially the connective tissue between such) would be a much better solution for my users. I’ve tried to replicate this approach with duplicate tables using Zapier to try to keep them in sync, but this feels like a LOT of wasted effort and multiple potential points of failure.