Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Locked or Uneditable fields except via the API

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chester_McLaugh
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I update some fields dynamically using the API. I would like those fields to be uneditable or locked except via the API.

For example, I manage a base called Trips. One of the fields is called “participant count”. Using a cron-driven script, I update that field regularly via the API. I would prefer that no other users could then modify that field.

6 Comments
Andrew
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey Chester,

You can give your collaborators “edit only” permissions, which prevents them from editing columns:

Permissions overview

Airtable collaborators can be given specific permissions that determine what they can and cannot edit in a workspace or base. Permissions are an important part of healthy team collaboration: with t...

Will this work for you?

Chester_McLaugh
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Not for this use case. I was looking for more granular permissions—however not critical at this time.

Isa_Hassen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We also have this feature request. We have scripts which update (or read from) fields dynamically with the API. It’s quite a pain when another team member renames a column, causing our scripts to break. This has happened several times already. It would be useful to be able to lock or make a column read only, so that it prevents accidental renaming or editing of values.

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

+1. Columns hidden from GUI would be great too.

Howie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I’m aware and I should have been more clear. :slightly_smiling_face:

Those columns are always available whenever the user starts entering new data in record mode or on iOS for example.

Thanks anyway!