Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Mandatory fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoshiki_Kuraki
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I want to set some fields mandatory so our team members do not forget to input.
For example, customer’s name should be mandatory for a project management but some members forget to input it. The image is that if a mandatory field is blank, users are requested to input the field otherwise the new record is not created.

56 Comments
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We need this !!! It is very very very important for us

Michael_Lever
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

To check whether I have inputted everything that I should have I have a view for each field where some input is required. Filter to field is empty. I can then check whether it is but shouldn’t be.

Surely the op’s solution is to find a way to ensure the team members do remember. Perhaps have a view with the fields in order of entry, the field names prefix Mandatory:

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the Airtable commumity, @Baibhav_Gautam !

It looks like you only just joined the community and wanted to participate and be helpful right away. It also looks like you work for Airtable. Are you a new support person? Would you be interested in introducing yourself and letting the community know who you are and what we can expect from you? (If you set expectations, you will lessen the amount of people who will ask you questions that are completely out of your domain.)

I think that you are mis-understanding the issue. The “Required” toggle only exists in the form view. It does not exist when creating new records directly in the grid view. Many people have workflows where it makes sense to create new records in a grid view, and not a form. They want to have fields be required in the grid view. For various technical reasons, this isn’t realistic because they do not understand that the record is already created before they start data entry.

Baibhav_Gautam
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks, Kuvonne; you’re right, I misunderstood the issue to be form related. I’ve removed my answer to not confuse others :slightly_smiling_face:

Vivid-Squid
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Well, its always nice to hear from Airtable staff!

hsurbaugh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This need would help for instances where people have upwards of 20 requests and do not want to fill out 20+ forms

agart1010
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, this feature would be really appreciated! Without it, things can really slip through the cracks. 

Jia_Pei_Wong

+1  Let's push this comment further up for the Support Team!

This feature is crucial and should be considered as a very basic requirement for a table or form field.

Furthermore, make a field as a pre-requisite for another field is also necessary. If field A is filled, then field B is mandatory.

geiselt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1. This would be incredibly helpful to our marketing team for managing campaigns that require handoff between team members, e.g. require written content file URL added to a specific field before project status can be marked as done, in turn triggering the design stage of the content creation lifecycle.

reaz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for having this in the grid view