Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

More string handling functions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Sashman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Like SPLIT, STRPOS, CONTAINS, LEFT/RIGHT/MID etc.

Regex match maybe.

11 Comments
ripwit
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

And Replace! Would be great for building primary keys out of names that contain special characters.

Alex_Armstrong
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This is a great request. All Iโ€™m trying to do is take a column of emails and output the domain (i.e., jsmith@example.com โ†’ example.com), which would be trivial to do with split or regular expressions.

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hey @Alex_Armstrong, did you ever find a solution to that problem?

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

@Alex_Armstrong and @nnnnneil

You could use a combination of RIGHT(), LEN() and FIND()

RIGHT({Email Field},LEN({Email Field})-FIND('@',{Email Field}))

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Thanks @Kamille_Parks. In my particular case, my email field contains single and multiple email addresses. E.g:

bob@thistest.com
craig@anothertest.com, dennis@anothertest.com, yung@anothertest.com, sam@anothertest.com

Is there a way to handle that?

Alex_Armstrong

Thanks @Kamille_Parks. Thatโ€™s a really cool solution!

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Yes โ€” but youโ€™re not going to like it.

The problem is that Airtable currently has no support for a processing loop; hence, youโ€™ll need to define an explicit extraction step for up through the maximum number of emails you anticipate having in a single field. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this in this reply to a post from a user wishing to extract individual hashtags from a list. Youโ€™ll need to keep the same structure but substitute @Kamille_Parksโ€™ domain extraction routine for the hashtag extractor in the original. (Actually, youโ€™ll probably decide to modify your work flow instead, but on the off chance you really do press on, youโ€™ll find all you need to know in that post.)

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Thanks @W_Vann_Hall. I code in Javascript and PHP, so every time a use case like this one comes along I yearn for a foreach() equivalent in Airtable

@nnnnneil: If youโ€™re emails are being pulled from another table via a Lookup or Rollup, you could go back to that table, add a formula field with the Right/Len/Find formula to get the domain, and rollup/lookup the new formula field instead. Otherwise, I think Wโ€™s solution is your best bet.

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Thanks @W_Vann_Hall.

@Kamille_Parks you were right. I was thinking about it all wrong. Simply using your formula on the other table solved the problem. Then i used a rollup with arrayunique to pull the one domain from many email addresses.

Many thanks!

Gary_Stark

Sorry for the 2nd post, but the same issue was raised in 2 different sections. I tried to use your formula but I keep getting an error message. Any thoughts as to what Iโ€™m doing wrong? Iโ€™ve uploaded an image of what Iโ€™m seeing. Thank you!!email domain.png