Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Ana_Daumec
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Location feature- with map view and search, please!

Justin_Hales
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree with Luzius. This is a must-have for Airtable!

Justin_Hales
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree! A location field is a must-have for Airtable! One of Airtable’s competitors, Podio, does have a location field with an accompanying map.

Kyle_Stenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

My use case for a address map would be for my clients. Helpful as I plan travel or find clients clustered in an area to plan events or to get them in touch with each other. Also, seeing where are staff is located in proximity to our clients.

Tomek_Paszek
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to keep a list of locations i would potentially like to visit around the world. When I go to certain are what I would like to do is to go to the map view and be able to filter out the list and see the remaining locations.

Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agree… along with implementation of this field type, the interactivity, reusability, and means of obtaining the data all need to be considered. IMHO this would be an optimal solution:

• Create Location Data Type. &
    Allow “use my location.” &
    Allow formulas in field type.
    yes, have a location data type, and allow “use my location”, manual entry, or entry by formula

• Record Location Data along with historical data (ex time stamp) but only for select data items.
    EX. GPS location would be embedded with historical data along with the edit time, user editing, etc when the user updates or adds data …

1. using the barcode scanner
  2. using a camera
  3. or when the user adds a completely new record.
  • Have Formulas to extract stored Location data from: Historical Data or Postage address.
    It would be extremely flexible a formula allowed the user to extract historical location data from any field that stores such data:
    "If ( [Field_Manual_Loc] = “”, LocExtract( [Field_barcode], “editHistory-First” ), [Field_Manual_Loc] ) " or
    "If ( [Field_Manual_Loc] = “”, LocExtract( [Field_pictures], “editHistory-Last” ), [Field_Manual_Loc] ) " or
    "If ( [Field_Manual_Loc] = “”, LocExtract( [Field_Address], “notApplicable” ) , [Field_Manual_Loc] ) ".

• Store Location data as Clickable Links in location field.
    As @Joshua_Soule put it:

If tapped, it would give “open in…” option to open in Google Maps or iOS Maps or other GPS apps. If long pressed, it would allow copy to clipboard so that user can paste into another field or app.

• Feature creep, but still cool, list: In-App mapp preview when field is expanded
    As @Luzius_Fischer put it:

Also, clickable map links and a small map next to a record would be useful.
(similar to what certain calendar applications, like apple calendar have)

• Feature creep, but still cool, list: a Locations MAP View
    As @Luzius_Fischer put it again:

Having the option of a map view, to see ALL the locations on a single map, would be really nice.

Kevin_Nugent
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature. I just discovered Airtable about five minutes ago and it looks like a really good fit. Only yesterday I was considering taking a not-very-good spreadsheet shared by organisers of my running club and moving it over to WordPress in order to make something more akin to a database driven CRM - and then along came Airtable the very next day!

My use case is that we are a running club which runs every week to help out charities, not for profits, isolated/elderly people, with physical tasks before running away again. The run leaders share a spreadsheet of ‘tasks’ which comprise some details, a point of contact, who is leading the run and, importantly, where we’re running to. In this way a location field would be really handy as the run leader could easily access a link to Google Maps from the table on their iPhone.

Kelvin_Floyd
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agree a map of all records would be great. A workaround for a single record for now is to use a formula field like
(((“www.google.com/maps/place/” & Lat) & “,”) & Long) & "/7z"
this takes Lat and Long from two columns and turns it into an url which will open google maps and zoom (level 7) to the location.
It probably could be used to search for an address as well

Simon_Horup_Es1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes please! I’ve even been trying to resort to uploading images and extracting the EXIF data in a script then updating a location field, but even the EXIF data is stripped. The location data type should be able to get the current location on mobile as well.

Huge bonus points for adding a new view that’s a map. A good portion of my tables would benefit hugely from that!

Shaun_Chavis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes please! This would be super-helpful for helping teams plan location photography & filming. It would be extra-cool if team members could see the address in Airtable and be able to click it to get Google Maps directions.