Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Field Type: Nested Table

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

As we’ve been testing AirTable for our business’s project management needs, one thing we’ve had trouble setting up is something like an expense report, purchase order, or mileage report.

Our typical reports would be a single printable document with several standard pieces of data (job name/number, purchase date, vendor info, billing method, etc), and a table containing purchase info (item, qty, price) with totals at the bottom.

In Airtable, you can currently accomplish something like this with two tables (let’s call them “Expense Reports” and “Expense Items”) with the latter connected to the former with a “Link” field. But it’s a bit clumsy, because you’d have one table with each “report” and another table that contains lots and lots and lots of expense items that likely have nothing to do with each other. More importantly, it’s not really possible to export the data from each Report while including the Expense Item data.

A more elegant solution would be a field type called “Nested Table.” This would create (within a record) a small table/spreadsheet with customizable columns, simple math functions, and the ability to add rows on-the-fly.

Thoughts?

28 Comments
Conrad_Lindes
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I worked for over 20 years with a product called Alpha4, which was a desktop application based on the .dbf file structure. That was a “relational” database in that I could create reports that could “nest” an unlimited number of sub-items, sorted on any major item I chose, and print out not just the result for one record at a time, but for the whole list of records. When this went to Alpha5, which is the on-line version, it got less and less user friendly, which is what got me interested in finding an online alternative that was easier to work with. So far, Airtable has a long way to go. I hope the team works on this nesting and gets it right soon.

BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Conrad, you’re the second person I’ve heard sing the praises of that older product. Please let me know if you find anything comparable!

Steffan_Andrews
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m also seeking this functionality, and it’s what will make or break Airtable’s usefulness for my current needs.

David_Craig
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

You might want to check out Obvibase, it is limited in functionality, but does have a pretty good implementation of this feature.

Andrey_K
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature will be really game changer for the Airtable. For sales pipeline we may create nested tables of products and their qty as a commercial proposal or create list of components for something etc.

We definitely need this new field type.

UPD. This example https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/218734758-A-beginner-s-guide-to-many-to-many-relation... may be make easier with nested table field!

Brett_Garwood

Yep, have needed this for quite some time. I need it to manage sub tasks of a primary task of a project plan.

Ryan_Lavalley

This would be a super helpful feature for multiple of my projects. +1 from me.

Helen_Vaskevitc

I have run into the need for this exact functionality on multiple projects, so far the only workaround I’ve found is having many many fields to hold all the sub-data I need for each record, it’s quite clunky.

My projects where I’ve wished for this functionality are:

Example 1:
I work at a theater production company, and I have created a base that keeps track of every person we have ever hired or interacted with or submitted a show to for production. This includes actors, producers, directors, musicians, etc etc. Some people have participated in multiple shows, playing a different role in each show. A person might play drums in show “A”, and might play the part of Mary in show “B”. I want all this information stored in the record for that person. My workaround is to have a new field for every production of every show, which lists what role a given person played in that show. A run of a show may have 6 shows/week for 4 weeks. So, that run alone, of that single show, would add 24 fields to my People table.

Example 2:
I also work for a musician, and I’ve created a base that keeps tracks of every song he co-writes, to keep track of publishing splits. A song may have 3 co-writers, and each of those co-writers has a publisher, some of the writers might have 2 publishers, and then some of them might have admins as well. So, a single song may have, say, 9 entities who each need to be paid when a song is used. I can’t just list all the writers in one field and all the publishers in one field, because I need to know the relationship of which publisher goes with which writer. And I can’t just list this relationship in a separate Writers tab, because the writer may change publishers from year to year, and I need to be able to see which publisher they were with for that particular song. So, to keep track of it all, in the songs tab I have a field for writer 1, 2, etc, a field for publisher 1, 2, etc corresponding to writer 1, 2, a field for admin 1, 2, and then a separate field for each entity’s split. That’s a whole lot of fields! It almost necessitates a separate tab for each song, but with 400+ songs, that is completely non-feasible. Hence, the need for subtables.

Using the many fields workaround creates another problem, in that, when I list “writer 1” “writer 2” etc, and link that to the writers table, in the writers table there are now multiple fields which list songs written by that writer, because I had to have separate fields for each writer on a particular song, when really all the songs written by a single writer should be listed in one single field. I can make some kind of summing field to collect all this data in one place, but the original set of multiple fields still has to exist, and again, it’s pretty clunky.

So yes, a field type called table would be helpful, and also, if anyone has any suggestions for me on how to make either of these bases more efficient I would love to hear them!

Randi_Leist
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Desperately trying to find a solution such as this. I love Airtable but, I need a way to create an invoice worksheet for our operations department to build a worksheet and don’t want to use another software for it. I’d rather it all be in Airtable. Really hoping this functionality is brought to airtable.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

This is wrong. You need a junction table for Roles (or similar), to store Person, Show, and details like Character, Payment, and so on. You can create Views, Filers, Groups… to see the information you want.

The same for example 2, you just need extra tables for people, and of course for the Roles. I would have:

• Songs
  • Writings
  • Publishing
  • Admin
  • People

Then build relations with Linked Record fields. Example:

• Writing: Song, Person (from People), and details