Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Please Add Hyperlink Formula

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_Conlow
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Google Sheets has a formula called Hyperlink.
HYPERLINK(url, [link_label])
Example
HYPERLINK(“http://www.google.com/”, “Google”)
Where url is The full URL of the link location enclosed in quotation marks, or a reference to a cell containing such a URL.

and link_label - [optional] is the text to display in the cell as the link, enclosed in quotation marks, or a reference to a cell containing such a label.

It would be helpful if airtable could do this too.
My use case: Zapier finds new google docs in a special folder and adds records to an airtable which includes TITLE and URL. I have a view of that table that is embedded on my internal google site so that all new content in that folder (medical protocols) are available to my staff. It would be quite nice to have one field (a clickable link) rather than two - the title and an ugly url.

Please like this post to help it raise to the top!

60 Comments
Ilkin_Huseynli
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I added excel like hyperlinks with this way:

• set field type as long text
  • activate rich text (primary fields doesn’t support rich text)
  • type something in cell and select text
  • from pop-up appeared on top of the text click URL icon and your URL
NHAD_Team

Hi @Stephen_Suen. Loving the button field, but is there a way to use ‘mailto:’ on a mobile device?

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If you already have the full email address in an email field in Airtable, just tap on the envelope icon on the right side of the record’s expanded view in the mobile app, and it will launch your email client to start a new message.

If you’re building the email address via formula, all you need to make is the email address. In the Airtable iOS app, it will automatically become a link that you can tap to begin composing a new message in your email client. No “mailto:” prefix is required.

NHAD_Team

Thanks @Justin_Barrett for replying. I’m using a formula that concatenates all the email addresses we have for that record and then using the button field to email them all at once. It works great on the computer but opens a blank browser page from the app.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@NHAD_Team Thanks for the clarification. Are your email addresses in separate fields, or are they coming in from another table via a lookup or rollup field?

NHAD_Team

@Justin_Barrett They’re in separate fields but in the same table.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@NHAD_Team Thanks. In either case, you can still use the button beta to open the URL, though building the formula is going to take a little more effort because I’m guessing that not all of the email address fields will be full.

Long story short: in the button field formula, begin with “mailto:”, then use IF() functions to conditionally add each address, adding a comma between each of them. Here’s an example that adds three addresses:

"mailto:" & {Email 1} & IF({Email 2}, "," & {Email 2}) & IF({Email 3}, "," & {Email 3})

This of course assumes that the first email field will always have an address. If you have more addresses to add, add more IF() functions following the above pattern.

On my iPhone, using a button with this formula will open my email app and begin composing a new message to whichever of those three addresses are available from the chosen record. If you want to get really crazy, you could also add a subject line and other items to that formula after the last address. Just be sure to wrap the contents of each additional section in ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT() so that spaces and other special characters are properly encoded. Here’s a brief example:

"mailto:" & {Email 1} & IF({Email 2}, "," & {Email 2}) &
IF({Email 3}, "," & {Email 3}) &
"?subject=" & ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT("This is my subject line") &
"&body=" & ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT("I could even start the body of the message here.")
NHAD_Team

Thanks @Justin_Barrett. Unfortunately this still opens up a browser page that says"The URL can’t be shown" when I try to use it from the app.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@NHAD_Team What mobile device are you using, and how recently have you updated the app?

For me, using iOS with the latest version of the Airtable app, the button opens up a new email exactly as @Justin_Barrett describes.

Can you create a formula field with the exact same formula as the button field to inspect the results of the formula? Maybe there is an issue with the formula.

NHAD_Team

It’s working! Thank you so much @Justin_Barrett!! Amazing!