Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Prevent creation of blank records in a table

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Would it be possible to make it impossible to create blank records in Airtable - it’s so easy to create these that bases become littered with them. It’s even worse if you accidentally add a record in a grouped view because linked record are created which are otherwise blank.

One way to do this would be to give the user the option of making one or more fields ‘required’ - and without them the record would not submit.

I find having to constantly delete such empty records quite annoying!

46 Comments
Alex_Proteau
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, this is very annoying. My team and I are using it daily and I would say that this our biggest issue.

Michael_Berman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You could make a blank cell view that filters everything but blanks and just delete all the records in the view every once in a while…

David_Torbett
5 - Automation Enthusiast

There are solutions for removal of them once they are created as per above suggestions, but we have a table with autonumber being used for sequencing and for audit purposes we prefer there to be no gaps in the sequence. This very issue causes the most reasons for gaps. The other reason is not being able to restrict some users from the ability to delete a record :frowning:

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

We literally have a script that runs against such a view and flags blank records as “ghosts” :ghost:

It’s a dumb workaround that still requires human record deletion or repurposing of ghost records with “old” record IDs.

Ultan_Costello
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Bump, Bump & Bump Again.

This is our single biggest frustration with Airtable - An otherwise brilliant product.
The option to only create a new row on “Double Click” would resolve this neatly.

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Bump bump bump too! You should be able to define views where new line records cannot be added in that view.

Tyrone_Elliott

Is there a solution for this yet? if not bump!

Noam_Yorav-Raph
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1. I’m using an Autonumber to create unique IDs for each record, and having it being incremented each time someone clicks the row by mistake is annoying.

Kevin_Leahy

Bump! I’m about to train my team and anticipate that the accidental creation of records will be our biggest issue. I’ve been using Airtable for a month and haven’t been able to avoid accidentally creating records every single time I use the (otherwise brilliant) interface.

Maurice
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yeah this owuld be nice to fix, annoying having to clean house all the time.