Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Product Suggestion for dealing with names for deleted fields in formulas

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Currently, when you delete a field, it breaks any formulas that referred to that field. When the user views the broken formula, the field name is replaced by a non-human-readable string.

Thanks to the scripting API, we can now see that the non-human-readable string in the broken formula is a concatenation of a literal string and the field id of the deleted field

"column_value_" & fieldIdOfDeletedField

I suggest that the string also concatenate the name of the deleted field

"column_value_" & 
fieldIdOfDeletedField &  
"_" & 
ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT(fieldNameOfDeletedField)

This would make fixing broken formulas much easier because the user could see what the original formula was.

The scripting API shows that the field definition for a formula field stores an array of referencedFieldIds. Could that array also somehow store referencedFieldNames? After all, the field definition for a multipleRecordLinks stores both ids and names.

And now for an example โ€ฆ

Say the field {dog age in human year} had the formula
{dog age in calendar years} * 7

If the field {dog age in calendar years} is deleted, the broken formula now looks like
{column_value_fldFRA5nV1QBtrtLi} * 7

I would like the broken formula to look like

{column_value_fldFRA5nV1QBtrtLi_dog+age+in+calendar+years} * 7

or {column_value_fldFRA5nV1QBtrtLi_dog%20age%20in%20calendar%20years} * 7

By the way, for all you dog lovers out there, I know this formula is not really accurate. I am just using it to illustrate a point.