Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

PRODUCT SUGGESTION FOR FORMS: Hidden fields & hidden prefill fields that actually submit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Not sure if this is a bug in Airtable or just a missing feature, but we really need this feature. Airtable needs the ability for us to have hidden fields on forms that will submit data upon form submission.

Currently, Airtable doesn’t accept the values from any hidden fields.

Here’s the situation:

My clients are currently having difficulties with Airtable forms, because prefilling fileds on forms (using the “?prefill_fieldname=” syntax) only works if the fields that you’re prefilling are actually visible upon submitting.

We’re trying to prefill hidden fields on the form that we’ve hidden using Airtable’s brand new conditional field feature for forms. So we’ve hidden a bunch of fields (using fake values that will always result in false). We’re forcing these fields to be hidden.

These hidden fields actually get their prefilled values filled in correctly!

How do we know this? Because if we type in the fake values to “show” these hidden fields again, the prefilled values are visible! The prefilled values are right there!

But — the only way to get these values to be added into our Airtable database upon form submission is to keep the field visible.

If the field is hidden, Airtable won’t submit the value into the base, which then defeats the purpose of having a hidden field to begin with.

Thanks!

38 Comments
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

And for me too! This feature so easy to implement and so important!
I can’t find any reasons, why AirTables do not do this:(

Evan_Walton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

agreed! thanks for posting this @ScottWorld

Brooklyn_Music_
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I found a work around for this! BUT, it would still be awesome if Airtable implemented this suggestion :slightly_smiling_face:

Using the new Airtable automations feature, you can create a new Airtable record with whatever fields you need pre-filled, separate from what info the client submits in a separate form… So upon submitting a Google Form, I can populate fields in Airtable with info from the Google Form and whatever else I need in Airtable, determined by me.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 5.57.10 PM

Odin_Team
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey Airtable, can we please please please have this feature?

aleaja
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agreed @ScottWorld. As I noted here, in addition to setting hidden form values via query argument, it would also be convenient to be able to define values for hidden form fields by view

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yep, please keep bugging support@airtable.com about this minor but very important change to forms.

In the meantime, we all need to use a professional form building tool like JotForm or MiniExtensions.

Kelly_Loucks
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can we please get this feature?!

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

so they have done something that will help. you can now use the 'when a form is submitted trigger so you could run an automation to update the record when it is submitted

david_schaerf
5 - Automation Enthusiast

How this is not a feature already is beyond me. Please add this soon :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

david_schaerf

Can you elaborate pls? When the form is submitted the contents of the hidden field or URL parameter will be gone so how do you grab them for the automation?