Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Product Suggestion: Please stop showing new View Sidebar

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Starting yesterday, Airtable rolled out a new sidebar in the left margin to display the views in our base.

This is fine, but please stop auto-opening this sidebar by default.

Every time we refresh our web browser or enter a base, this view sidebar auto-opens.

It takes up a significant amount of screen real estate, and it is a real pain to continually be closing this new sidebar. Every time we enter a base, we have to close the view sidebar again.

The vast majority of people aren’t continually switching views constantly throughout the day. For this to be ever-present and taking up a significant amount of screen real estate is not helpful.

This should stay closed by default.

p.s. The old view switcher was not difficult to find or use.

84 Comments
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @ScottWorld

Great work in pursuing this!

It makes it better for the rest of us.

Thank you!

Mary

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Nice job on the View Sidebar fix, but it would be nice if when hovering a view it would show the full view name (which I believe it did originally).
Right now when hovering and it is an personal view it says “Your personal view”, which I already know because by profile photo is next to the view :slightly_smiling_face:

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

So this view sidebar has become a real problem again.

In Airtable’s infinite wisdom, they have now COMPLETELY DISABLED THE HOVERING FEATURE if you directionally approach the “View” button (or view name) with your mouse in a downward direction (i.e. moving your mouse downwards from above the view button).

In other words, if you switch tabs in Airtable, and then you move your mouse downwards from the tabs over the “View” button (or the view name), it won’t register the mouse hover anymore. It is now completely unresponsive, unless you KEEP MOVING YOUR MOUSE UNDERNEATH THE BUTTON, and then approach the view button with your mouse from underneath.

Yes, this was done by design. Yes, I’m 100% serious about this. You literally cannot make this stuff up, folks. Fact is stranger than fiction. Or maybe there’s just a lot of champagne flowing after their latest funding round! :crazy_face: :champagne:

If anyone has a brick wall I can borrow, I’d love to bang my head against this brick wall once a day in response to the engineering decisions that are made at Airtable. I know that brick walls are expensive to ship, but it will be worth it to me.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

The view panel was changed again this week, and there are some immediate problems with it.

#1. BUG: If you hover your mouse over the view name, the hover window appears. This is good. However, if you choose one of the options from the new dropdown menu (see screenshot below), and then you hover your mouse back over the view name again, the hover window DOESN’T appear.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 10.59.51 PM

#2. ANNOYANCE: The new tooltip is very annoying (see screenshot below).

Every time you hover over the view name, it now gives you the paragraph that you see in the screenshot below (or a different paragraph, depending on the type of view).

a) It’s really unnecessary to see this paragraph every time you choose a new view. It makes no sense to keep reminding people of this obvious information over & over & over again. Once somebody understands it, they don’t need to keep getting reminded of it continuously.

b) It also obscures the “Find A View” field which is directly underneath it.

c) However, even worse, this tooltip appears before the TRULY IMPORTANT tooltip appears, which is the full name of your view (if the view name is very lengthy).

If this new behavior annoys you too, please be sure to email support@airtable.com about this.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 10.52.32 PM

@Adam_Minich @Rose_K @Linjie_Ding @Zoe_Bridges @Taylor_Savage @Stephen_Suen @Rob_Hildebrandt