Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

"New Record" ("Add record") button and shortcut

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geza_Molnar
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

I’d like a “New Record” (“Add record”) button (icon) on the top beside the View-Name and before the “Hide fields”.
A shortcut would be handy, too - ‘ctrl+N’ maybe.

Have a nice day,
Géza

23 Comments
George_King

Good to hear. Unfortunately, not for me. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not–which is very frustrating as I cannot find any way to make it visible–no buttons, no keyboard shortcut.

Any ideas? There doesn’t seem to be any way to communicate directly with Airtable

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Well, that is not behavior that you can control, so there’s nothing you can do to make it appear if it’s not appearing. Where is it not appearing for you? (I can’t make it disappear, which is the exact behavior that I would expect and is exactly the behavior that I prefer.)

George_King

When it IS there, a plus symbol has appeared below the last entry, bottom left of the screen. Without it I cannot add any new records to this base. FYI, its not the large overlaid burnt orange circle with a + that I noted in earlier correspondence. Its just a simple + .

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Could the table permissions be set to not allow you to create new records?

If your records are grouped by a calculated field, you cannot add records right below the last row. But the “plus sign” in the lower left (not attached to any record/group) should still be there if you have permission to add new records.

Can you share a screen shot?

George_King

Where are the table permissions? Here’s a screen shot. Colleagues and I have successfully added 142 records. I added some a week or so ago. But, and I have noticed this before, sometimes the + symbol is not available bottom left.
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 2.19.03 PM

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This is no longer the case. All groupings allow creating new records through the plus sign, even groupings by formula fields. At least on my end this is how it now works. Many of us are using different versions of Airtable, and I often get the newest features first.

@George_King You either have a permissions issue, or you’re looking at a destination sync table (which can’t have records added to it).

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This has not been my experience. While I can always create a new record using the plus sign at the bottom of the screen that is not associated with any group, the plus sign on the left side of the bar immediately below the last record in the group is missing when the view is grouped by a calculated field. Indeed, I don’t think that it would even be possible for Airtable to determine how to set values for a record created in a group determined by a formula field.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Right, I’m talking about the plus sign at the bottom of the screen. It obviously can’t be at the bottom of a group that is grouped by formulas. This entire time I have been talking about the plus sign at the bottom of the screen, which was not previously available under all circumstances. I’m sorry if I was not clear, but I was referring to Airtable’s behavior in 2021 vs. Airtable’s behavior in 2022. The plus sign used to show up in the lower right of the screen, but only under certain limited circumstances. Airtable has now thankfully cleaned this up, so the plus sign is always there at the bottom of the screen at all times. This is a fantastic & welcome change that they have made to the product! :slightly_smiling_face:

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for the screen shot. You appear to be viewing a shared view, and not the actual editable grid view. Note the absence of the tabs for the tables above the data, and the “Use this data” screen.

Try accessing the original base. If you cannot create records in the original base, this support page has more info on table permissions:

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I think that both of us have been talking about the same thing.

I was reacting to the “below the last entry” part of the comment, thinking it might have been record group …

But the screen shot makes it clear that there is no record grouping going on, and it is a different issue.