Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Regional Support (Time, Date, Currency formating)

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Patrick_Meier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi everyone, the title basically sais it all :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

98 Comments
Daniel_Thor
5 - Automation Enthusiast

absolutely this one as well as choosing whether the currency symbol is before or after the amount. it is disappointing how often simple features take way too long to appear for international users.

partly related to the 2nd pont by @Parashar_Shah (unless im doing something wrong) when I use the formula to display dates in the 3 letter month format and sort it in a view it does so alphabetically which it obviously shouldnt or am I doing something wrong?

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I just imported a CSV into a new base.

Iโ€™m in England, so the system that generates my reports automatically uses the DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM format for dates.

When I imported the data, everything looked fine. At the time it was a text field.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 09.36.57.png

I decided to change the field type to Date. Before any of the data was converted, I made sure to choose โ€˜Europeanโ€™ in the dropdown.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 09.40.40.png

The problem is that upon clicking โ€˜Okayโ€™, Airtable does not associate the choice of date format with the pre-existing data in the fields.

So what happens is that any dates before the 12th of a month are reversed (for example the 9th of December becomes the 12th of September), and any dates that occur after the 12th of the month are simply wiped as theyโ€™re not recognised as a date.

This leads to a table that looks more like this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 09.46.14.png

Is it possible for the Date field to take the date format choice into account before it decides how to parse this data?

Emilio_Esteban

Hi Matt. A quick thoughtโ€ฆ Maybe you could format your source file date field in the American way, export to your Csv, import to airtable. Airtable should treat your field as a date and not a text so you finally can change it to European format.

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Emilio, good idea. Iโ€™ll try it.

Definitely think this is a bug worth fixing, though.

Nicholas_Timms

The custom currency symbol is awesome, it suits the needs of my team perfectlyโ€ฆwell almost, the ability to select which end the symbol appears would take things to the perfect level.

Ralf_Westphal

After months since first requests for support of a decimal comma (3,14 instead of 3.14) have appeared here nothing has changed in Airtable. Thatโ€™s a pity. Instead weโ€™ve got a new field type and a new design.

A new field type is nice - but it does not make Airtable more usable to many, many potential users in Europe. I wonโ€™t be able to entice anyone of my customers to use Airtable as long as their clerks and office workers cannot use their native number format. Even simple applications cannot be moved from Excel to Airtable without regional input and output formats. I cannot imagine how much revenue will not be generated due to this lack of basic international functionality. Itโ€™s so basic, even, that the iPad/iPhone versions of Airtable have it - but the online and desktop versions are lacking it (at least for the decimal comma).

Please, Airtable team, provide all the basic formatting options relevant in most parts of the world outside the US. Youโ€™ve created a great tool - but all its cool features are facing a basic constraint: internationalization. Itโ€™s not just techies and nerds and geeks using your product. Or at least it shouldnโ€™t :wink:

Thierry_Gattlen
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello,
I have excactly the same problem when importing cvs with local date format (Switzerland).
I have already notified the Airtable team on this behavior.
Hope it will be corrected soon

Mustafa_Kaplan
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It would be lovely to have a localization option for the menu language.
At least a language-settings file for menu conversion and making it open-source would work. Also community can create lot of language files without any development cost for airtable dev. team.(like wordpress).

Stephan_Strittm
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1
I would like to support to translate to German.

Ralf_Westphal

So when is more international formatting support coming to Airtable (especially the decimal comma)?
The lack of it is holding me back to wholeheartedly recommend Airtable to my clients.