Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Ability to Design a Page for Printing

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Patrick_Meier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Im not sure where Airtable is headed. But id be happy to print a customer a nice Paper with all the Products he ordered. I guess id like to make different form views like in Filemaker.

73 Comments
Andrew
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Makes sense, weโ€™ve heard this from a number of customers. Would it work if we just had a print setting that printed each record as a page sort of like our expanded records? So all of the fields would be arranged vertically in a somewhat compact way, but you wouldnโ€™t have control over the actual layout of those pages.

Markus_Wernig
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I also think a printing option would be very helpful. But to me some customization options as to what weโ€™d like to include in the print out and how it should appear on the page would be essential.

Patrick_Meier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It whould be a start Andrew :slightly_smiling_face: As Markus said it whould be nice to add a Logo and what not. And a field that opens the whole iDevice Screen for a Signature.

Scott_Beckman
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Just want to add this is really critical for us. Airtable has the potential to be a great tool for our work, but images are a big part of what we need to store and access in tables. We need to be able to create a nicely formatted report with data and pictures to give to our clients and contractors. Currently, I can expand a record and use the browser print function, but that cuts off the title and it truncates the text in long text fields.

Thanks!

Rick_Swearingen

I would just like to add my need for a print option for selecting a group of records and printing in form view not table view.

Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

The print options requested here seem like they fall into the โ€œreportโ€ category that most other database applications support. Reporting is one of the key features that makes a database application different than a simple flat spreadsheet. I really like the ease of use of the spreadsheet DB UI, but sophisticated printable reporting would really improve this product and turn it into a real Filemaker killer for a huge portion of FMP users.

gallery

Would love to have a possibility to design reports.

I sell art and Iโ€™m looking for a software that can help me generate reports for all kind of stuff (insurance, inventory, work lists etc.). I donโ€™t need the same kind of information for every report, but they can be created from the same base. Also the different reports have to look different. When I want to show a client a work I want a clean one page report with a big picture, basic information and my business information, but when I print out a list of works I want multiple pieces on the same page. If this si on the to do list this would make Airtable a killer tool!

Rick_Swearingen

I know I have already commented on the ability to print with a condensed view of the expanded records (in other words fit all fields or better still the fields I select) on one page. Currently I am limited to a large vertical print that sometimes extends over 6 pages. This will not work for us. I have very much wanted to include Airtable in our workflow but without this ability we have not used the app since our initial setup and testing. We are headed to Daytona with Harley-Davidson and had hoped to make this app work for us at this Corporate Event (several times a year) but clean professional print pages for our clients would be paramount.

I very much hope to see this pushed to the top of the production list at Airtable so we might come back to revisit the idea of using this app in the future, but for now it is just not quite there.

Good luck Airtable team.

Rick

Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

When printing 8/5 x 11, portrait and selecting โ€œFit to widthโ€, only about 2/3 of the page is used and the balance of the print starts on subsequent pages. It seems that the โ€œFit to widthโ€ option does not account for the fact that the text will be shrunk to fit the page width AND also you can get more lines per page as well.

Michael_Gehrman

Printable reports sounds like the opportunity for a complete second product/service/application.

Providing a visual interface, to take the response of JSON-APIs, formatting the Data, and applying a Template.

Typically to generating a HTML Output suitable to Print. Other ways to publish output the content could be a FTP-Server or publish on a host for static websites (e.g. github pages).

HTML is a great for generating PDF-Files as well. In our company we generate vast amounts of PDF-Files for our customers using Prince XML. Works like a charm. Docraptor provides an API to generate PDF-Documents with Prince.

Use Cases:

• Printing/Exporting Students Report Cards
  • Generating a listing of Available Properties of a sales agen and pubish it on his website
  • For the same sales Agent: Generating individual Handouts for every available property
  • generating a XML Product feed for Google Merchant Center
  • Printing a Custom address book (Yes I know :winking_face: the little black book)

An Application like that could be limited to Airtable, but doesnโ€™t have to be. Integrations of other APIs and Headless content management systems could be added later. E.G. enabling cases like:

• Pulling stats from Twitter for a Social media Report
  • A visual way to publishing data from contentful on a static site
  • pulling in information from social media accounts based on the ID stored on airtable
  • adding reviews from rotten tomatoes to the printed catalog of my collection SciFi DVDs

Headless CMS and Public APIs are gaining traction in the marked. But currently we lag a way for non-developers to turn them into a human friendly form.