Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

RESOLVED - misunderstanding of field requirements

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Justus_Stewart
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Please remove sorting as a default requirement for creating groups. It seems totally unnecessary, and is problematic. Why does the Group function require sorting? If I create, say, 100 entries in 10 categories, why canโ€™t I group them by category in the order I entered them?

Currently, AT automatically orders them alphabetically, with my only options being A-Z or Z-A. Alphabetical ordering is often completely inappropriate to the content! This means I have to do a clunky workaround by creating an artificial numbered column just to get them to stay in the correct order.

The Group function and the Sort function should be wholly independent. Please fix.

Thanks!

4 Comments
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

If you group or sort by a single select field, the order of the fieldโ€™s options can be customized in the fieldโ€™s configuration menu. Then, the order of groups or records is based off of that customizable order - which can be the order you entered them in, alphabetical order, or another order of your choosing.

Given that your category field has 10 categories, a single select field type should be appropriate.

Justus_Stewart

Thanks for the fast reply. Iโ€™m pretty new to AT, so maybe Iโ€™m just missing something? What do you mean the fieldโ€™s โ€˜configuration menuโ€™? Do you mean I need to change the field type? Right now itโ€™s single line text. Iโ€™m still not seeing anywhere I can tell it how to order the categories.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

So first, youโ€™ll need to change the field type from single line text to single select. Then, you can arrange the category options as you please in order to have the grouped records appear in the order you want them to.

configuration.gif

Justus_Stewart

Perfect - thank you!