Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Single Select Fields - Default Option

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ivan_Carlson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Please add the ability to set a default option in Single Select fields, akin to the Default Text feature currently offered in Single Text fields. Thank you!

3 Comments
Ross_Parker
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I came here to make the same suggestion.

My use case: I have a Christmas card list. The status of these cards is determined by a Single Select with options:

Not yet written
Written
Dispatched

When I add a new row (a new card to write) it should default to “not yet written”.

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

If you group by that single select field then add a new record to that group “not yet written” it will automatically put that as the status. Also if you filter by that status, it will automatically add the status when adding a new record. Not really a default, but should work for your use case.

Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey Ross,

Yes, this has been a needed feature.

To create default values, you can use On2Air.

We have the default value option in both our On2Air Amplify and On2Air Actions apps.

With the Amplify app, you add the default values for your fields. Then every time you create a new record in Amplify, the default is automatically added.

Amplify is a record dashboard app that lets you customize how you view records, linked records, linked tables, and more. You can also edit and view any Google Doc, Sheet, or Slide directly inside Airtable.

The Actions app adds the default value as an automation.

With Actions, you also get an additional 60+ features that integrate with Airtable.

Features like creating Google Docs automatically with Airtable data, bulk create, edit, or delete multiple records, set default field values, copy fields, perform financial calculations, sync Google Sheets, and more.

Here’s a list of the features: