Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I can’t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Richard_Brown
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 This would allow us to save related documentation to a workflow management process we’re building. Documentation field would contain bullet lists, headings etc. Ideally we’d be able to expose this through api onto a webpage - as such basic html tags would be really helpful.

Thomas_Holth

Another vote from me. Markdown in long text would be great!

Mike_Schinkel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is this even being considered? We are evaluating AirTable and this is a major need for us.

How about a new field type, a Markdown field that would cause you not to have to worry about screwing up existing long text content?

Adam_Berenzweig
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes! and specifically with lists, todo lists with checkboxes please!

• [ ] add checkboxes support in long description markdown text.
  • [ ] enjoy!
William_Nutt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Please add Markdown support!

Frank_Arnold
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes, it would be nice to see some basic text formatting at least in the long text field.

It doesn’t need an extra editor, Trello shows a good solution with some shortcuts or special chars which are automatically translated to HTML elements like lists, italic or bold text and different font size.
It’s also a good idea to support URL formatting in the text like [text](URL) which will be a replaced with the HTML code for links. So it doesn’t need modifications in the GUI!

It needs only a small improvement in the text renderer so that such special chars like “*” or “1.” are replaced with HTML formatting code. This can be easy done with some regular expressions and is no rocket science!
A good developer can implement such easy features in a day, so it should not be something which it needs a lot of man power or big plan for years.

Clifford_Fajard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Cmon airtable! Implementing this shouldn’t be difficult & it’s already been done by Trello and other similar apps like Zenkit. On the client-side, once you fetch the long text data, you can just parse the long text field with a clientside markdown parser from npmjs.com or create your own.
This markdown it parser is good & supports everything you need: https://markdown-it.github.io/

A prototype can be done in hours and you can definitely get this done in less than month. I know that ya’ll operate at a large scale, but you also have fantastic engineers…

Robert_Hyndes

Any thoughts from airtable on this?

Stephanie_C
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In the mean while couldn’t you create a zap to convert the text to markdown using the formatter native app to Zapier? Just a thought…

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I, and many others that I’ve talked to, would like the ability to add a Rich Text field to tables. Much like this box that I’m typing into right now or like the Description block, having the ability it would be nice to be able to have a field type that allows rich text editing at a record level.

There are numerous use cases and a field like this could even replace my need for a knowledge base tool or wiki (e.g, Confluence), or attaching files like PDFs or Word docs. Another obvious use case would be for detailed notes (e.g., usability test/interview session notes, meeting notes, troubleshooting documentation).

Also, one of your competitors (Notion.so) is offering something similar and I think y’all could do a much better job (e.g., your Description block functionality as a Rich Text field type).

Notion example: