Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I canโ€™t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
Rob_Brazier
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this feature request. We are generating a variety of static reports out of Airtable and basic formatting support in text fields would really improve their readability.

PTNTH
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Any sort of basic rich text or markdown would be great

ROBERT_STEFAN
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Many databases I used in the past had word processors integrated so that you could format templates and map data from the fields in a record and send to print or email. This was very beneficial for communication in business. Is there any way to create templates and documents? Does AirTable have anything on the near horizon to address creating documents, email outputs, and other types of reports.

Max_Hibbert
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We definitely need the ability to apply some basic formatting - bold, italic, lists.

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

it would be great if we could use typical HTML/CSS terms for formatting so we could use them in formulas as well. I.e., <b>Text</b> for bold, <i>Text</i> for italics, <ul><li></li></ul> for un-ordered lists (and ordered lists too), etc.

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

@Katherine_Duh

Use Case 1: I am building a recipe database and the Instructions field makes individual steps difficult to read as all text blends together. This is where lists would come in handy (right now I have to fake it)

Use Case 2: anyone who uses formulas to calculate overdue deadlines might want to make text bold and red to make its stand out. not everyone likes using emojis.

Use Case 3: financial databases might want negative numbers to appear red.

Aaron
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We need this. Could be very useful.

Deanna_Horton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™d like to use Airtable to organize our UX writing guidelines. Iโ€™d love to use basic formatting like link text, bold, italics, underline, bulleted lists, and numbered lists in Do and Donโ€™t fields to demonstrate best practices vs. incorrect usage.

Peter_Sergeant
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Beggars belief that this isnโ€™t considered important enough to have made any progress on in two and a half years. There are many more things Iโ€™d be using Airtable for with this feature, and no updates at all on if itโ€™s even being considered by the team.

Shauna
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my voice to the chorus here. Thereโ€™s only so much โ€œlong textโ€ you can add without formatting to make it more readable.