Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Formatting options for Long Text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see basic text formatting options for the long text field. At a minimum: bold and italic formatting would be a huge help.

I would like to use long text fields to store short bios for writers. But without the ability to have italic formatting, I can’t properly format the titles of their books.

The markdown formatting tools available in this Airtable community message editor would be perfect.

154 Comments
AL1S
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 to markup

This is unfortunately one of the main reasons my use of Airtable has been so limited. I need some way to format long notes so they aren’t eye-straining blocks. URLs, as mentioned, are unwieldy. The lack of any kind of bullet points to make lists, or bolding or italics to break things up, makes it impossible to do any meaningful note-taking.

It’s kind of hard to believe this hasn’t been addressed yet.

Nitin_Puri
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 to formatting here.

Specifically I’m looking for bold/underline and bullet points in Long Description type fields.

As a PM, I use Airtable to create a list of test cases we need to execute/build. In columns describing the setup, there are often several attributes that we need to list out that I would like to display in a bulleted list.

Some test cases are VERY similar to one another as well, save for one small detail. It’d be helpful to be able to highlight the important word in Bold or by underlining.

Thanks!

Neil_Hallimen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would replace having to share things between Airtable - Google Docs - and Jira when working on a product team and using airtable as a ticket system. There is no way to leave long descriptions in here if they can’t be formatted to give emphasis on the most important elements of a description.

Jason_Gillman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Katherine,

I would imagine that markdown support is something that really shouldn’t require a specific use case.

I’d say that virtually anyone that’s built a readme file will already know how useful markdown is.

Even people that might not have the “traditional” exposure to markdown should be able to quickly pick it up and realize its usefulness for long text fields.

I mean, would it really be that difficult to implement? I would figure not, since it’s implemented for Base descriptions.

Anyway, just my few cents on the matter.

Julia_Tetrud
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 We definitely need rich text available in tables. Any headway on this?

David_Isaac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Basic markup would be nice.
Support for tables would be really nice, so I could create simple checklists with notes within a Long Text field.

Max_Goldberg1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Oh please, this would be such a useful addition. Markup or basic HTML would be so great.

Chad_ODonnell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree that bold would be huge, and more so, bullets. The ability to truly use long texts as notes would be invaluable.

Leon_Volovyk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Markdown/CommonMark please, it would be a game-changer.

Richard_Brown

Seriously, how can this be so difficult to implement? At the moment we’re having to link out to Google Docs just so we can do very basic formatting like bullet points. It makes our whole system flaky and hard to contain/manage.

Can you at least give an indication if you’re considering this? Surely 81 comments deserve a response of some form…