Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] "Add to Airtable" browser extension

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_Doerrfeld
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’m considering Airtable for information gathering as I browse the Web. One tool I currently use is Trello along with the “Add to Trello” extension for chrome and safari which nicely adds the URL and title for the page I’m viewing and creates a new card/record in a specific Trello board and list both of which can be specified within the extension. Simple and powerful. I could only convert to airtable if I had something similar.

40 Comments
Adam_Romary

Thank you for the quick response. Maybe I’ll start simple… Is there a way to auto populate a field with the site’s url? Is there method in alpaca for doing this?

Thank you,

Adam

Richard_Kaplan

Auto-populating a field with the site’s URL works already - that’s the main point of the extension. It’s basically a bookmarking extension that you can customize with extra fields.

You can also drag/drop the URL address field of your browser into a regular text field and it will copy the URL - that works if there is some secondary URL you want to save in the database such as the location of a picture.

No coding needed for any of the above. I’m a physician doing writing/content work; I was a programmer in a past life but not now. It works fine for me now as above - I have not done any coding to make it work. All
I had to do was to edit the JSON in the configuration section.

Adam_Romary

When I go to the form page of my airtable and click on the extension, this code pops up

{
  "app": "app6sCm55Ue2ES---",
  "table": "tblUGsim8kpCuy---",
  "name": "Notes",
  "fields": [
    {
      "field": "",
      "data": "data for "
    },
    {
      "field": "",
      "data": "data for "
    }
  ]
}

I need to add the field name and type, but I am not sure how I would get the url to populate. Do you get something different when you click the extension?

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Adam

Richard_Kaplan

It is done in Chrome, not in Airtable

After you have configured the Extension, click the Save to Airtable icon in Chrome and you will get something like this - which auto-includes the URL - depending on how you have done the configuration:

pastedImage.png

Richard_Kaplan

The JSON configuration code by the way looks like this in the config section of the extension:

9c61db3ce43db779e27cef98b00884ec82420f83.png

Adam_Romary

Okay, after a fresh look this AM, I was able to figure out a simple version that works. Thank you, Adam

Adam_Romary

You are awesome, I really appreciate you adding all this code!

Nelson_Keating
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How hard would it be to add a screenshot function to this extension? Optimally, it would be a button that triggers a select field, so user can select the part of the screen (just like any of the existing chrome extensions, e.g “Awesome Screenshot”) and then send to airtable.

This would be amazing for research etc.

@Borja_Morales

Borja_Morales

Hi,

Making a screenshot of the current page is not quite difficult, sending to Airtable it is.

When sending images from the current page to AirTable what is been sent to the API is the url of the image.

For a screenshot, after the image is created it should be saved somewhere and then sent the new url to AirTable.

It would be amazing but I would need a server to store the image at least temporarily.

Frances_Cherman

Man, that was painful, but I finally got it to work. I had no idea there were instructions hidden below the code! I hope you’ll move them up to the top. Similar to Nelson’s comment, I would love it if it could create a PDF of the page and send it to Airtable, along with the other fields. Any chance of that?