Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Simple checklist within fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Daniel_Zuckerma
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would go a long way in letting many of us move completely away from Trello, Asana, Etc. into Airtable. I know there are workarounds (link to another tableโ€™s list containing the tasks), but that quickly becomes overly cumbersome. Would love to have simple checklist as a field option!

76 Comments
Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I agree. Iโ€™ve been linking to a โ€œtaskโ€ table but itโ€™s become cumbersome

Lauren_Perfors
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

YES! I am so happy to see that I am not the only person who has requested this. 95% of my tasks have some sort of 2+ step process. In order to make sure I do each step, a checklist is vital. Right now, since switching to AirTable Iโ€™ve moved all of my checklists to Evernote, then link to them from the AirTable record. Itโ€™s cumbersome and not ideal. When I used both Asana, Trello, and other proj mgmt systems they all had this featureโ€ฆ it was key for me. Lack of this feature was almost a deal-breaker for me when I switched to AirTable because checklists in tasks were integrated into the majority of what my team and I do every day. It also helps with QC to have the checklist within AirTable - if my team member assigned to a record checks all of the boxes, they are then held accountable for completing each step. Without that checklist where they have to check the box, they more frequently forget steps.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Iโ€™ve written a couple of blog posts which may help you with this subject - one with Airtable creating subtasks automatically and the other linking to Process Street which is a great app for standardising processes with repeatable tasks (and integrates well with Airtable):

Using Airtable / Zapier to create checklists:

http://software.kirknessassociates.com/blog_files/3071ed2bbea12791bdd3eab57ff09fcd-20.html

Using Airtable and Process Street:

http://software.kirknessassociates.com/blog_files/11a79a74e2d3f3672f5d0c40fa251ff4-24.html

William_Nutt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 on ditching Trello and similar apps once this is implemented!

Ricardo
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1 would love switch from Trello to Airtable, check list and more sophisticated formatting are keeping me!

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Iโ€™ve already commented on this once but I thought I would add some comments furtherโ€ฆ

Personally, I would vote against adding a special task list field type to Airtable (or any other relational database for that matter) as it is too inflexible and generally bad practice. For me, the correct way to implement this in a database is to use a tasks table as @Hashim_Warren says above. The problem is that Airtableโ€™s UI implementation makes this cumbersome (itโ€™s a bit better in Expanded view).

A better solution, and one that would be far more general purpose would be for Airtable to implement a better solution in their UI for using child tables - and importantly, to also enforce referential integrity properly - for example, to make sure that one to many relationships are enforced no matter how a record is entered and provide for Cascade Delete to remove child records when the โ€˜parentโ€™ is deleted.

This isnโ€™t top of my priority list but itโ€™s up there - having said that Airtable is a great product to use!

Adam_Acosta
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

also @Hashim_Warren provide an example of howโ€™d youโ€™d structure the main and โ€œtaskโ€ tables. I have one done but it canโ€™t be optimal. My main table has a one-to-many relationship to the task table. The main table checklist column displays no tasks if all are complete and vice-versa displays all tasks if none are complete. Please tell me this isnโ€™t the best way to do this currently.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Adam

What youโ€™ve done sounds correct to me - are you able to provide screen shots of each table to confirm?

Adam_Acosta
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Sorry I donโ€™t feel comfortable doing that. Thank you for reaching out Julian. I appreciate it very much. Iโ€™m going to try to use a third table for now and see how that goes.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

No problem!

If you do get stuck then create a copy of your base and randomise the data with some copy and pasting (or delete it and enter a few records) and Iโ€™ll take a look.