Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Staging environment for bases/interfaces/data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamF
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Enable a staging/pre-prod environment for bases, and their associated interfaces and data. The solution should allow each base to be logically linked to a pre-prod base, with two-way syncing that is fired manually. Changes made in pre-prod should be easily pushed to prod, which would include adding/removing/editing:

• fields & attributes (e.g. name, formula, links, etc.)
  • tables & attributes
  • interfaces
  • data (to allow for data staging and cleaning, especially for ETL/ELT purposes)
    • data syncs should be optional, and provide the option to either completely overwrite or merge with existing data
How does is solve the user problems?

This allows users to make changes to either base structures, logic, or interfaces without affecting live / production data and interfaces.

How was this validated?

Staging and Prod environments are best practice in any development process.

Who is the target audience?

Everyone who values data integrity.

2 Comments
creminology

I’m considering using NocoDB locally for testing my code that interacts with Airtable. I could use a copy of my base in Airtable. But if I was using something local, there would be much less latency since it would all be offline. Of course, I have to abstract the code I use to communicate wirh Airtable to instead talk to NocoDB when not in production mode.

salah_osman

The crux of your issue is the need for a safe, isolated space where changes can be made and tested without affecting the live data and operations