Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sticky header in list view

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeroen_Sarink
5 - Automation Enthusiast
The issue

We're working with list views that show a lot of numeric data for each record. When scrolling down, the header row moves up along with the records, so it immediately disappears from view and all numbers (which don't have any horizontal separator either) become a big blur of numbers. 

What is the proposed idea/solution?

It would be great if there would be options to:

• Enable a sticky header
  • Show a subtle vertical line to separate columns
  • Color or otherwise format columns

How does is solve the user problems?

I believe any of the above options would greatly help in keeping (large) list views readable.

6 Comments
JLindem
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I can see that you're using the interface, and sadly, these don't have many options for customisation. However, in the normal Airtable views, the field names are always shown at the top. Perhaps changing to the grid view in the interface accomplishes what you need? 

Jeroen_Sarink

Thanks for your suggestion! Indeed - the screenshot that I added was of a List with just one level, so a grid could replace that quite well.

However, we also use List views with multiple levels which we can't replace with grids. These list also consist of a few hundred records, so we're bound to scroll down at some point.

It seems like pretty natural UI behavior to me that a header shouldn't disappear from view when scrolling through data, so I hope this will be picked up by Airtable at some point.

JLindem
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The interfaces have a lot more to be desired... I have seen many feature requests for the interfaces here, but I doubt they'll add much to it. 

I can recommend that you have a look at a 3rd party portal or interface builder. For example Stacker, Softr, or Noloco.

Jeroen_Sarink

Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping to stay inside the Airtable infrastructure as much as possible, but I'm afraid you're right. I'll have a look at those third party tools.

jakemmarsh
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @JeroenB, I wanted to let you know that as of last week, we've rolled out sticky headers in list views/elements to all users. With this change, the header corresponding to the section currently in view should stay "sticky" at the top of the page. I hope this solves your issue!

Jeroen_Sarink

Many thanks! This change made a lot of our interfaces much easier to work with.