Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Table/Tab selection update needs work IMHO

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
DamonH
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello All, Hello Airtable.

You have changed my life! You have allowed a small team that handles $20-100m in grant funds each year composed of 80-120 major projects to come out of the dark ages (excel and MS Access) and increase efficiency, decrease errors, and significantly increase job satisfaction and sustainable work stress. Everyone who uses it is happy, as are our trustees and decision makers. A state agency making this kind of change/improvement in such a short time (since Dec 2020) is a minor miracle. Thank you.

But this morning I am dismayed to see a reversal of progress, in my opinion, in a very basic function: The table selector behavior. its now a search, instead of a select. Doh!

Capture

I spent A LOT of time color coding , arranging and training to be able to get the entire team working within our 49 tables (each member uses maybe 4-6, but they all need to be there, with the first 15 being the most used). I cant get the table list to pull back up so here is a screenshot with just searching for โ€œAโ€. As the developer, I cannot always recall what every table is called. I really need to have a way to view all tables in order and select from there. This is super critical basic behavior that existed yesterday, but not today.

Capture2

Search function? Awesome! But maybe have that as a top row โ€˜narrowingโ€™ option (like the rest of Airtable does) instead of opening a blank box? Logic has it that most of us will have our main/most used tables in the first 3-6 tables, so why not show us those anyway? Instead of that fun/demoralizing sideways empty table. Poor thingโ€ฆ haha.

Donโ€™t get me wrong, I am happy to have new stuff rolling out. Gantt charts in views and calendaring, for example, are recent updates that have made a huge difference to us. As were View bins and favoriting.

(related topic: Tabs now DO follow your click/selection, and the highlighted table appears at the top left when you are there. This was a previously submitted bug from me and appears to be fixed. YAY and thank you!! :clap: :clap: )

Capture3

And lastly, a shot of our base schema which is either a humble brag or a very nervous laugh/realization of how this monster has grown:

Capture4.PNG

Thanks!!

Damon

17 Comments
Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Thanks for the update @DamonH!

johnnydecimal
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

โ€œUh, itโ€™s been 24 hours. You got my money?โ€

โ€“ Stewie, Family Guy.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I got a reply from support (on Tuesday, August 31, 2021) stating that the fix should be done by โ€œend of the day tomorrowโ€.

Olpy_Acaflo
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi !
I suddenly got the same 5 hours ago !
Of course, I shared it with support too,
using my own threadโ€™s URL to document my alert !
(So I will not kill my thread until would Support reply.)

Sorry for that doubleThread but Iโ€™m frenchtalking so IMHO didnโ€™t tell me anything else than something like HIPAA so I didnโ€™t see any relation with my UI downgrading.

BASE UI : Tables LIST in now EMPTY at any UI Comp render:

Just take a look at this:

EMPTY Tables List

It seems to be persistant although my BASE is far from empty:
All my Tables are present and OK !

Best regards,

olฯ€

Recorded on MACbook M1, OS Big Sur, CHROME ver.92 autoUpdated.

Olpy_Acaflo
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

BREAKING (good) NEWS :

Airtable Support will take care of it within 24 hours ! :pray:

olฯ€

DamonH
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The table selection menu is back.

Olpy_Acaflo
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

confirmed !

Airtable Support did it ! and did it without delay !
They rock ! :partying_face: :cocktail: :champagne: :cocktail:

Huge Thanks,

olฯ€