Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Triggering back gesture in Chrome (on MacOS) when scrolling to the left

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Kalinchu
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Every time I try to scroll left using two fingers on one of my tables, it is triggering the touchpad’s back gesture in Chrome.

38 Comments
Jack_Digitale
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Kasra !
When I use google excel, as the others, I can use my two fingers on the trackpad to the right and the grid goes to the right. And do the same thing to the left and the grid goes to the left. But when I do that on airtable, in grid view, it works when I move my fingers to the right, but not when I move them to the left. When I move them to the left it trigger back gesture
(I’m using MacOS and Chrome) .

Many thanks,

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

I experience the same thing - seemingly only in Chrome. I cannot reproduce the problem in Safari, and obviously it doesn’t happen in the Native app.

MacBook Air 2011
Latest version of MacOS X
Latest version of Chrome

(sorry for the choppy gif - my computer goes to crap when recording a gif):
2018-05-03 10.05.07.gif

Logan_Jager
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Same issue here. only in Chrome. very annoying

Raphael_Titswor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m having the same problem, and finding it very frustrating.

Mouse directly over the grid. It often scrolls a little bit before triggering the back gesture. One way I’ve tested this is by initially scrolling vertically, then scrolling to the left (drag fingers to the right) and while I get a bit more horizontal scrolling by starting vertically, it still changes to the back gesture partway through.

Here’s a video showing the problem:

drassi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Same—would be very nice to have this fixed, also happens for me in Chrome/OSX, and does not happen for google docs or any other wide-scrolling sites. This happens for me when scrolling to the right as well, which Chrome doesn’t allow unless you have a page in your forward history, which is a common situation for me because of accidentally pressing back on account of this issue. I’d rather not have to modify the scroll settings for my entire OS just to solve an issue with one website (but I will).

Tina_Musich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have this problem and it’s very annoying. It seems like a heavy handed work around to change my computer settings for one website. Any update on fixing this?

Jordan_Presnick
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Also experiencing this issue with latest MacOS, Chrome, Magic Mouse.
I expect to use single finger swipe on web pages to L-R scroll. When L or R scroll is not an option, same action (single finger swipe) navigates back or forward, respectively.
In Airtable Grid view, swiping to scroll left in table always navigates back.

Dwarak_valagam
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Use the area towards the right end of the trackpad, and it scrolls up and down without going “back” in the browser. Works for me every time perfectly.

Andrew_Miller1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How has this issue not been fixed yet? I’ve found it super frustrating and searched on Google to see if I could find a solution…only to learn that many people have been experiencing this bug and for at least the past 3 years. Please fix this! I do not want to change my overall computer settings just for one website!

Ali_Abbas1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I wanted to give Airtable a shot and recommend it to my team, but this bug makes the product essentially unusable on a trackpad. I shouldn’t have to change my trackpad settings to make this work. This already works fine in other horizontal-scrolling websites like Google Sheets and TradingView.

Airtable please fix the code that is supposed to suppress the Back action when scrolling to the left using a trackpad. It stops working after expanding a record and closing it.