Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Units for numer fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Gehrman
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Units for numer fields

Plain number fields can be highly ambiguous at times. E.g. does “width” mean widht in mm, or in inch? When working in teams on the data, users entering data in the US might be more comfortable entering inch and users in europe would prefer cm.

This could be fixed by creating field types for length, area, volume etc. But this would lead to a whole host of field-types and would make it harder to extend further when incorperating more exotic cases like electrical current, temperature or units of time.

I would suggest to extend the number field time with an optional parameter to set it’s unit.

d848b0457daf9852b21fccfb5d9e0c4e85751d7d.png

User Input Conversion

The Default unit is the used for by the API to return entered value. When entering a Value in a different Unit it should automatically converted. The JSON output should still be a simple number. The API-Documentation should be extended to show information about the returned unit.

Mixed unit inputs like 6"2’ should automatically be turned into a decimal value.

A user could change the unit to show in the column, without changing the base unit of the API.

Conversion in API

The API could be extended with a request parameter, to retrieve number values in a prefered unit.

Formulas

Formulas could be added, to work with units. E.G. Converting a given Unit into another (width-mm to width-inch). Or do calculate the Surface area by two given lengths.

Use Cases

• A merchand dealing in different Countries. Measures entered into one Column in a metric Unit automatically update the column for Imperial units.
  • A property manager could enter the dimension of rooms in an apartment, automatically calculating the area of.
  • Developers get a unambiguous about the meaning within a number field.
  • Entering Temperature Data that is given in kelvin (K), celsius (degC), fahrenheit (degF)

Examples of Unit-Categories:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-06 um 17.24.01.png

16 Comments
Chris_Guthrie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I love this suggestion. We are creating an inventory control system and have automatic unit conversions would be amazing!

Jeff_Harris
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yeah. would really like that. Units of measurement would be so rad. Right now I put units in the field heading or just use text for those fields.

Ian_Gailer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

There somehow a workaround. It’s not ideal, but by choosing the *$ Currency" field type and changing the currency symbol to what you need (i.e. "ft² " - with a space after the measure) it will return something like this :
Capture d’écran, le 2021-12-16 à 21.01.47

Anton_Wer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please add custom units

Brian_LaShomb
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was excited to find this feature suggestion… then immediately disappointed to see it’s been over 6 years and the idea is evidently dead. :frowning_face:

t0ast92
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I really need this feature too.