Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Universal variables

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
typo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I'd love to be able to designate universal variables that could be referenced from any table in a base. So, for example, if I have a sales tax rate of 8%, I'd like to set that sales tax rate in one single place and then be able to reference that in formulas across the entire base. Currently, if I want to set up this type of variable, I need to 1) create a table of variables then 2) make sure every single record in the other tables is linked to the variables table 3) add a lookup field to every table that looks up this universal variable 4) create a formula which references this variable in the lookup field.

For each universal variable, one should be able 1) give it a unique name that could be referenced in formulas across the entire table 2) set a data type (number, currency, percentage, etc)

Then, if the sales tax rate changes, I just update the reference variable, and the changes propagate to all the formulas in the base that reference it.

It's true that this could be done with manual copy paste or automations, but that's a LOT of work or automations for a very basic bit of functionality. It could easily eat into an automations cap on an AirTable plan. I imagine that it is pretty easy to script for someone who knows how to code, but that's a lot of work (or vendor cost) just to set a variable.

I'd love to be able to tell AirTable: "I'm creating a universal variable called "SalesTax". It is a percentage variable." Then enter the number 8% and be done.