Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Update Last Modified Time when Lookup Fields or linked records change

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carlos_M_Castil
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I feel this should be an option (toggle) on Last Modified Time fields. Like “Modify time when lookup fields change”. Something like that.

How does it work right now?
Currently when a lookup field changes, last modified time fields don’t change on the linked record. This makes sense since you’re not actually changing the record.

How would this be even better?
Add a toggle to also update LMT fields when lookup fields change. There are use cases with automations and above all syncing and updating with zapier that you could want to trigger a modified field.

There are workarounds on this. I usually do it with automations in airtable. For example bringing the Last modified time from the linked record as a lookup field, and then using a function with DATETIME_DIFF to check for differences. Whenever there’s a difference, you trigger a small change on any of the other cells. But that seems overkill (three new cells just to perform this check). I think a toggle would solve a lot and be a lot cleaner.

Thanks for your work guys!

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I agree that this would be an EXTREMELY valuable feature in a number of different scenarios!

Carlos_M_Castil

Definitely! Let’s hope it sticks and someone at airtable looks into it!

Mariane_Marketi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is CRUCIAL for my automations. 

At the moment I have to do a workaround with automations for FOUR different lookup fields to be able to trigger a Zap to update my EDM platform. This feature would be super helpful.