Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

URL--Text to Display Feature

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Samantha_Allema
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think it would be nice to have the option to hyperlink with different text showing, like any basic HTML hyperlinking. Like I can even do in this forum if I needed to.

Visually, having the url just there isnโ€™t appealing.

163 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yep - this is great that rich-text updates are now supported in Script Blocks. Iโ€™ve also been using this approach with the API -

Mike_Doyle

They said in January 2016โ€ฆ Still not done!!!

Mike_Doyle

Itโ€™s simple Bill. In the age of the internet, we want an URL in a text field. This is about the simplest thing you could ever ask of a web based product. Albeit an extremely limited productโ€ฆ

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Indeed, I totally agree. However, I am only offering the community insight about a relatively useful approach to overcome this essential [web link] requirement that has been asked for and addressed by many apps since what - late 1997?

Itโ€™s not as if the separation of URLs and link names is a new thing, right? In fact, to put this into perspective, itโ€™s very likely that this basic [web] concept was possible before the Airtable developers were born.

It is, and this specific request was initially created in 2016, so itโ€™s coming up on half-a-decade. No reasonable and common feature expectation should be allowed to languish for a half-decade which is roughly the equivalent of 35 Internet years.

Whatโ€™s the Problem?

My hypothesis is that this feature is challenging for the Airtable team because of some early architectural choices. Have you often wondered why so many Airtable apps suffer from formula field bloat? (i.e., multiple formula fields that serve to create intermediate or final values from other field values)

Unlike the vast majority of spreadsheet apps where multiple property layers make it possible for a single cell to have both a formula and a value, Airtable doesnโ€™t support this design. And I believe that the inability to store a URL with a link name and render it with grace and beauty is because of this design limitation.

But even if my assessment is accurate, we canโ€™t broadly indict Airtable for making this design choice any more than we can assume they arenโ€™t doing something about it as we chat. This, and many other seemingly obvious requirements, happen in all products and tend to wane as the product and the customer base matures.

In the meantime, there are now a few remedies where there were none at all just 6 months ago. Theyโ€™re not ideal remedies and they often require scripting in a โ€œcode-freeโ€ solution, a deep irony that does not escape my sense of humour.

Mike_Doyle

Itโ€™s scandalous, that they are 3 years old and canโ€™t support a URL

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Apparently you didnโ€™t read my response or I wasnโ€™t entirely clear in my prose. Airtable is actually more than five years old and they do support linked URLs as evidenced by my screen shots. I donโ€™t build or support any Airtable solution that openly displays URLs unless specifically asked to do so by my clients.

I get it; youโ€™re upset that Airtable doesnโ€™t work like other products in the โ€œsheetsโ€ genre; thatโ€™s a fair criticism that I fully agree with and stated as much. However, dredging up complaints from 2018 that are no longer completely accurate reflections about the current state of Airtable is not helpful to users or to encourage Airtable to do better.

Scandalous?

In the grand scheme of things that should be addressed in Airtable, this feature doesnโ€™t even make the top 25. :winking_face: If lack of integrated and native support for embedded field is scandalous, half the stuff I delivered to clients last week should be on the front page of the Enquirer.

Mike_Doyle

The real problem was that it wasnโ€™t documented that URLs can be added by enabling a long text to with rich text formattingโ€ฆ This the enables full URL functionality. However, I couldnโ€™t find a single reference in any support material explaining thisโ€ฆ

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It is documented as inline text formatting on the support page about Formatting rich text in the long text field.

It wasnโ€™t directly mentioned in the post announcing rich text, but the webpage above is available two clicks from that post.

With all the new features in rich text, I think that it is understandable that they couldnโ€™t fit every last detail in the announcement.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yep - this approach is not ideally documented to show these dependencies. But, rich-text implies embedded links which [then] implies the use of a [long] text field as if it were simply a smart [short] text field with embedded URL abilities. Itโ€™s the classic definition of a workaround, so itโ€™s not surprising this is not fully documented.

Whatโ€™s more surprising is Airtable 's markdown documentation doesnโ€™t appear to reflect the actual behaviour of rich-text links.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Could you elaborate please?

Are you referring to Markdown syntax when

• typing in text with a physical keyboard
  • copying/pasting text
  • setting text via one of the APIs

I find that I am able to enter some Markdown formatting when typing text, such as bold, italic, lists, checkboxes, but not others.

I find that if I copy/paste text, Airtable does some behind-the-scenes processing to adjust Markdown code. For example, if I copy bold text from a rich text field and paste it in a different app, it wonโ€™t be bold in the other app. If I copy Markdown source text into a rich text field, the markdown syntax is escaped and shows up as plain text.