Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

URL--Text to Display Feature

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Samantha_Allema
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think it would be nice to have the option to hyperlink with different text showing, like any basic HTML hyperlinking. Like I can even do in this forum if I needed to.

Visually, having the url just there isnโ€™t appealing.

163 Comments
Lynn_Walton

plus 1. Also, does anyone know if you can currently have a url field entered in a page designer block be clickable?

Kendrick_Molina
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
  • 1 , Plus one, I would like the feature to be customized, for example when you enter a tracking number for UPS/Fed Ex you can click the text and can be customized to do let say a google search for that tracking number.
Hugo_Damasio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Having a link a being able to specify the display text is very useful for usability and readability

Mike_Yarbrough
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Canโ€™t believe this isnโ€™t already a feature. Definitely needed.

Virterra_Land_L
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep, I agree, this may very well be a deal breaker for me. Unfortunate.

Bruce_Maples

I am somewhat amazed that this isnโ€™t possible. I tried doing a regular HTML link using <a and so forth, and that didnโ€™t work either.

Iโ€™ve got some hyperlinks that are crazy long (links to data in Evernote), and putting them into a cell just looks ridiculous. And, if I want to link within text, I canโ€™t do it.

Loving Airtable for the most part, but this just seems nuts that itโ€™s not implemented.

Jared_Evans
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for me, too. Organizing information and making it accessible is what databases are all about. When I have multiple hyperlinks associated with a single record, Iโ€™d not only like it to look cleaner, but replacing link text is crucial to this being usable.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Itโ€™s funny - companies - by and large - tend to struggle to understand customer needs. Hereโ€™s a case where there is no ambiguity, the request was made a third of a decade ago, and the feature in question is proven, used in many products, and a common approach to improving data usability. Yet, here we are begging for something that ostensibly goes without saying.

But, we have a cool new web clipper. [sigh]

Airtable has clearly demonstrated a very deep skill set for building really useful stuff, but they need to make better choices concerning priorities.

Just sayinโ€ฆ

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

@Bill.French While this doesnโ€™t invalidate your point about it taking so long to implement, this specific feature (URLs with custom display text) is in beta now along with about 5 other highly requested features (i.e. bold/italic text, headings, bulleted/numbered lists, checklists, code blocks). I imagine it took so long since their apparent approach was to tackle them all in one solution:

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Itโ€™s great to hear thereโ€™s progress forthcoming.

But I would like to add that product management is a really key influencer in growing the customer base by ensuring priorities are carefully measured. For example โ€ฆ

A feature such as bold/italic text, while needed and certainly expected, is just one feature. In contrast - stark contrast actually - is a string method like Split() which has vast and deep-reaching impact on the ability to create new features and solve many data management challenges. Split() would resolve more than two dozen โ€œfeatureโ€ shortcomings of the product.

Product management should have ranked the importance of Split() (which was requested a full half-decade ago) well above a web clipper and perhaps more critical than bold/italic text.

This is the difference between features that help and features that help people help themselves, the latter of which tend to be boundless.