Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Webhooks for Records

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam_Bauch
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Webhooks for records would be really useful.

I’m heavily caching Airtable data on my own server via the API, and if Airtable could notify my server when a record is updated, created, or destroyed, that would help me invalidate the cached data and re-request it.

Ultimately that would mean less calls from my server to the Airtable API, which I imagine would please Airtable.

Are webhooks on the roadmap at all?

122 Comments
Chris_Lozac_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Wait…what? There are no webhooks for responding to record updates?!

Sigh. So is the current best practice polling from an external service? That won’t work in the long term, but if webhooks are in the pipeline, polling could work for awhile as we get our MVP up and running.

TL;DR— :heavy_plus_sign: 1️⃣ for webhooks @Airtable_Team :nerd_face: :grey_exclamation:

Chris_Lozac_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Fwiw, I just found this bullet point in my API docs under “API ROADMAP”:

• “Receiving notifications about changed records.”

Hard to say whether that’s going to be implemented via webhooks, but at least it’s a reason to remain hopeful. That and the design and implementation quality of the product so far; they’re definitely capable of getting this right. :crossed_fingers:

Chris_Lozac_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Also, Matt Bush from Airtable did say they’re working on webhooks here (in June 2017 :flushed: 😞 Last Modified Timestamp

Given how long people have been clamoring for these foundational features (created/modified timestamps and webhooks), it would be fabulous if someone from AirTable could chime in briefly to explain what the holdup is. It’s hard to believe that a team capable of creating something so great is incapable of tackling these features.

In other words @Airtable_Team | @Airtable_Admin | @Airtable_Support, I think I speak for many of us here when I say that a) we’re super supportive of you guys, and b) that support is hard to maintain without timestamps and webhooks. :grimacing:

:green_heart:

Bill_Carovano
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I take the lack of response from Airtable since the message on June 2017 as “this is a lot of work” and perhaps “it’s more complex than we originally thought” :slightly_smiling_face:

Which is a completely fair position.

Once it is implemented, webhooks for changed records has the potential to be a game-changer for Airtable, and if done well, could massively open up the types of systems and solutions that can be developed on the platform.

Stew_Dellow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Would love to see Webhooks also.

Seyon_Vasanthar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any update from admin on where the state of webhooks is? Would love to use webhooks also. I assumed (unfairly) that airtable would have them before joining :frowning:

pmsoltani

I wanna do some calculations whenever a row is added… I can either ask airtable every 10 seconds, or airtable can simply notify me… I need webhooks

Jeremy_Sanchez
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looks like this might be in the works.

API ROADMAP
Here are a few things that we’ll expose in the API shortly:

• Transparently creating new multiple choice options when you update records.
  • Querying for recent changes.
  • Receiving notifications about changed records.
Chris_Parker
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I hope it means “webhook” and not “Send yourself an email when a record changes.”

Edwin_Shao
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding a plus one to keep this on top