Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Webhooks for Records

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Sam_Bauch
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Webhooks for records would be really useful.

Iโ€™m heavily caching Airtable data on my own server via the API, and if Airtable could notify my server when a record is updated, created, or destroyed, that would help me invalidate the cached data and re-request it.

Ultimately that would mean less calls from my server to the Airtable API, which I imagine would please Airtable.

Are webhooks on the roadmap at all?

122 Comments
Chris_Lozac_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Waitโ€ฆwhat? There are no webhooks for responding to record updates?!

Sigh. So is the current best practice polling from an external service? That wonโ€™t work in the long term, but if webhooks are in the pipeline, polling could work for awhile as we get our MVP up and running.

TL;DRโ€” :heavy_plus_sign: 1๏ธโƒฃ for webhooks @Airtable_Team :nerd_face: :grey_exclamation:

Chris_Lozac_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Fwiw, I just found this bullet point in my API docs under โ€œAPI ROADMAPโ€:

• โ€œReceiving notifications about changed records.โ€

Hard to say whether thatโ€™s going to be implemented via webhooks, but at least itโ€™s a reason to remain hopeful. That and the design and implementation quality of the product so far; theyโ€™re definitely capable of getting this right. :crossed_fingers:

Chris_Lozac_h
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Also, Matt Bush from Airtable did say theyโ€™re working on webhooks here (in June 2017 :flushed: ๐Ÿ˜ž Last Modified Timestamp

Given how long people have been clamoring for these foundational features (created/modified timestamps and webhooks), it would be fabulous if someone from AirTable could chime in briefly to explain what the holdup is. Itโ€™s hard to believe that a team capable of creating something so great is incapable of tackling these features.

In other words @Airtable_Team | @Airtable_Admin | @Airtable_Support, I think I speak for many of us here when I say that a) weโ€™re super supportive of you guys, and b) that support is hard to maintain without timestamps and webhooks. :grimacing:

:green_heart:

Bill_Carovano
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I take the lack of response from Airtable since the message on June 2017 as โ€œthis is a lot of workโ€ and perhaps โ€œitโ€™s more complex than we originally thoughtโ€ :slightly_smiling_face:

Which is a completely fair position.

Once it is implemented, webhooks for changed records has the potential to be a game-changer for Airtable, and if done well, could massively open up the types of systems and solutions that can be developed on the platform.

Stew_Dellow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Would love to see Webhooks also.

Seyon_Vasanthar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any update from admin on where the state of webhooks is? Would love to use webhooks also. I assumed (unfairly) that airtable would have them before joining :frowning:

pmsoltani

I wanna do some calculations whenever a row is addedโ€ฆ I can either ask airtable every 10 seconds, or airtable can simply notify meโ€ฆ I need webhooks

Jeremy_Sanchez
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looks like this might be in the works.

API ROADMAP
Here are a few things that weโ€™ll expose in the API shortly:

• Transparently creating new multiple choice options when you update records.
  • Querying for recent changes.
  • Receiving notifications about changed records.
Chris_Parker
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I hope it means โ€œwebhookโ€ and not โ€œSend yourself an email when a record changes.โ€

Edwin_Shao
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding a plus one to keep this on top