Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Wrap Text within column

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be helpful to be able to wrap text within a Formula, Single Line Text or a Long Text field if the column width on view is too small. (Rather than truncate the text)

79 Comments
Darren_Layne
5 - Automation Enthusiast

While the option for wrapped text in cells would be most desirable, at the very least it might be nice to offer a hover option for long strings of text in cells, just as you’ve already implemented with the field detail functionality. While this wouldn’t solve the easy visual overview that many people are asking for, it would at least give users the option of quickly pointing to each cell for a quick mouseover tooltip of what’s in it without having to open up each record (either fully or with the shift+spacebar function.

Andy_Rink
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Really need the ability to wrap text! Lack of this features limits me using airtable in my company because it is too big of a change in behavior to do a gallery view / kanban when we are all used to wrap text in excel / google sheet.

Nate_Joseph
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Airtable_Support @Airtable_Team

+1 for the option to wrap text. It would really help for quick reading in Grid View to be able to view more than a few words in a cell without clicking in.

Becca_Noffsinge
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Wrapping text in cells is a must-have for us-it is cumbersome to have to page through the detail views to read the cell text.

That being said, I find the detail view extremely useful when I do want to focus on one record. The issue here is that I want to scan quickly for an overview, which is very difficult with today’s lack of text wrap.

helen_yung
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for ‘wrap text’ option in cells. I’d like to use Airtable for qualitative data analysis and this is pretty much the ONLY feature that is preventing me from doing that.

I don’t deal with enough data to warrant using nvivo or some other big data software. But I deal with enough complex information (from multiple sources, gathered through multiple ways, e.g. interviews, focus groups, surveys, internal and public documents) that just Excel / Word is not good enough.

It’d be easier to have the information in a database for sorting / resorting / refining. i.e. All the reasons you want a database over a spreadsheet. But in qualitative analysis you need to be able to read and re-read the data over and over again to condense / pull out themes and code / re-code. So wrap text is essential.

(A ready to go template for this in the future that would also be amazing.)

Thanks.

Stephanie_Perri

+1 for wrap text in cells–REALLY need it for effective qualitative data management. At the very, very least, hover to display would help alleviate the problem.

+1 for wrap text in column headings. I could fit twice as much on the screen if I could manage my column titles’ white space.

These are my only nitpicky complaints with airtable (well these and linking between bases… :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: ) Thanks for a fabulous product!

Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have written in this thread before and it seems some people are talking about wrapping text within column in the data section and others (e.g. myself) in the title.

I would like to put some emphasis on the title wrapping – which includes optional column-type icon (pretty useless if you use the base every single day) and optional ellipsis as well.

When I need to make a few adjacent columns very narrow to have more fields visible, I have to remember in which order the columns are or what type they are, or their exact titles (ie. the initial) otherwise I’m driving blind. This is a very common scenario for me and I assume it’s also very likely for those handling many fields

image.png

Audrey_Whisker
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi All - We desperately need to be able to wrap linked records in a Gallery view. We’re using Airtable for resourcing and one of the great ways we find to use it is in Gallery view, by staff member. We’ve linked each project to a staff member but we can only see one or two in the gallery view because of the lack of wrapping.
Please help!

Thanks, Audrey

See below. Where’s the fifth project???

Luke_Kelly
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Similar to a few of the above points, we’re currently trialling Airtable as a better way to store, organise and link qualitative research data. When creating profiles of our users for instance, we need a way for gallery view to include the entire (2-3 line) text descriptions of each role. The glance value of having all of the information on one screen - even if people have to scroll through multiple records - far exceeds the use of having a neat arrangement of identical row heights. Being able to manually adjust how much of each field is displayed on each card during gallery view would be of massive benefit.

Colton_Jang
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Lack of wrapped text is a major obstacle for us adopting Airtable more broadly in our organization. Employee onboarding is a great example.

Airtable is nearly perfect for an employee onboarding checklist because each task has a name, a description, a point of contact, attachments, and a checkbox/status to indicate completion. However, descriptions are lost without wrapped text, even with the trailing dots. This applies to any well-formatted table (@Haiyan_Khan posted a great example).

The larger issue I see is this: the primary champions / early adopters of Airtable are the kind of people who have been maintaining well-formatted tables on their own for years, and see Airtable as a great way to make a lot of their existing work effortless. However, those well-formatted Excel/Google Sheets tables cannot make the transition to Airtable without the wrapped text feature, so organizations like mine end up straddling both