Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Wrap Text within column

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Tech_Tylercivic
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be helpful to be able to wrap text within a Formula, Single Line Text or a Long Text field if the column width on view is too small. (Rather than truncate the text)

79 Comments
Alejandro_Marco
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!
Is there any solution for the same problem in kanban view? This blocks me to moving from Notion to Airtable.
Regards,

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Alejandro_Marco! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Unfortunately there arenโ€™t controls for the kanban view to drive the height of selected fields.

Nurlan_Abishev
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I wonder why the developers ignore this problem?

Julian_Liao
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yeah, itโ€™s surprising that this hasnโ€™t been addressed over the years. Having a UI that allows people to read the contents of the page is a fundamental ux best practice and should be expected at the bare minimum.

Ania_Sieron
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Open and clicking details for record sometimes is okay, but when you tag longer answers itโ€™s very painful to do it every single time. Especially if you have more than 10 records to tag!

Cameron_Kaiser
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am in full support of variable row height as an option and I feel that an extremely useful and standard functionality like this should not be kept from Airtable Customers just to prevent user-error (on a manual choice, no less). Iโ€™ve set up up an infrastructure that adds lines for each item of an order, and itโ€™s a smidgen of what it could be because A. Thereโ€™s an incredible amount of wasted space here and B. If the amount of items exceeds 6 then my team will have to click and expand at least 5 cells, which is just unnecessary. A variable row height option would instantly make this setup buttery smooth and really nice on the eyes to look at and process.

The expanded record view does not help present this data at all, really. Itโ€™s a lot of stuff going on, and the expanded record view requires scrolling and occurs in a smaller vertical space.

Through my searches on the forums, itโ€™s clear to me that people really want the dynamic row height feature. Even if we have to go into a hidden menu and unlock this feature, so as to keep people from unintentionally bloating their databases with it, I think a whole lot of Airtable Customers will be very happy.

Lauren_Briskin1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am trying to embed content into a public website.

Each embed will contain many records records (anywhere from 1 to 20), so users will need to scroll down to find the one theyโ€™re looking for. We do not ALSO want users to have to pop out a record or scroll through the information. The tallest cell option is not tall enough.

Additionally, formulas do not seem to be supported in the gallery view that supports multiline text, and the data is combined from many fields across many tables.

There does not seem to be an easy option to avoid truncation of the text, rendering the embed less than user friendly.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

To be clear, formulas are supported in all views. If you need to add line breaks to a formulaโ€™s output, insert the \n escape code into your string whenever you want a line break. For example:

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 6.56.00 PM

To insert line breaks between the retrieved values from other fields, do something like this:

{Field 1} & "\n" & {Field 2} & "\n" & {Field 3}

That being said, thereโ€™s still no way to control how the cards in a gallery view appear in terms of the available space for fields containing long text, whether theyโ€™re formulas or normal long text fields. You might need to look into tools like Softr that allow you to display Airtable data in a more web-friendly fashion.

LauraC
The lack of wrapping text is an intentional design decision: to allow wrapping text, we would need to support variable row heights. Our rows are a consistent height in order to avoid the bloated mega-rows that you often find in spreadsheets. Generally, we believe that that table/grid view should be a good overview of a number of different records, whereas the expanded record view gives you the details.

Interesting philosophy. Fails in practice. I think I want this to work like Filemaker Pro! Perhaps I just need to convince my company to switch to Filemaker Pro.