Help

Re: Autopopulate a "Dynamic Dashboard" from tables?

2377 0
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
KTH47
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I've tried onboarding a few times and it's never stuck. Here I am, trying again! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

I'm trying to create an dynamic lessons list for homeschooling. What I want is to have a Base with individual lessons (records), categorized by subject, then completion/checkbox as field, and this is the key: and for the 1st "not completed" task from each subject to be pulled together into either a separate table or a dashboard of some sort? 

ChatGBT doesn't think this is really possible but since its knowledge ends in 2021, I thought I would check. Any ideas on how I can do this? 

5 Replies 5
pressGO_design
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I would begin by creating 2 tables: Subjects and Lessons.

Subjects has a linked field to Lessons in which you allow linking to multiple records. In the Lessons table, you need to ensure that each Lesson is only linked to one Subject, so uncheck the allow linking to multiple records. 

In the Lessons table, you put in the lesson, link it to the Subject, have a โœ… field for completion, and a Progression field that uses numbers to define the order of the Lessons (1, 2, 3, etc).

Once that is all set up, you can design an interface where users can pick a Subject and see incomplete Lessons for that Subject in order of progression by using the Filter and Sort properties.

Hereโ€™s the thing, though: this setup will work for one student only. Depending on how many students you have, you might need a different setup. 

pressGO_design
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

If you need more than one student, you need to add a Students table and add a field to your Lessons table that assigns that lesson to one student. So if you have Math 1 assigned to Students 1, 2, & 3, your Lessons table will have 3 records

Math 1 assigned to Student 1
Math 1 assigned to Student 2
Math 1 assigned to Student 3

KTH47
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much for that!

For now, I will be the only one accessing this info. 

Alternately, after I've done the setup you're suggesting, is it possible to add a field to the Subjects table to pull the 1st uncompleted Lesson from the Lessons table directly into it? 

BTW, I'm still watching beginner Airtable tutorials, so talk to me like I'm 5. Lol. 

pressGO_design
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Yes. You would need to use a Rollup field with conditions. Iโ€™m on mobile right now so I canโ€™t be much help - will get back to you tomorrow. 

pressGO_design
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I created a demo base for you here. Rather than having the next lesson show up in the Subjects table, you have multiple views in the Lessons table that show you the uncompleted Lessons in the order they need to be done. When you mark a lesson complete, it is filtered out of the view and you can see at a glance next assigned Lessons for all of the Subjects.

Student 1 No Lessons Complete.pngStudent 1 One Lesson Complete.png