3794 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phil_Borreson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a database with a multi select column filled with attributes that contribute to a ranking. I would like to create a formula that finds and assigns a number value to the attributes in the multi select column. I have been able to accomplish this with one variable in a test scenario; however, the real data has up to 30 possible attributes per record that contribute to the ranking. Any recommendations on how to create a nested if find statement that looks at a multi select column and returns a custom assigned number value to the found attribute/s?

5 Replies 5

Have you thought of using a lookup table instead - you can simply change the multi select field into a Link field. Then add a numeric field to the lookup table and use a rollup field to total the values in your original table.

Phil_Borreson

Interesting suggestion! As we have many attributes, would the look up table need to include every possible combination of attributes, or take each one separately if separated by a comma?

Here’s 2 tables:

This table had colors (multi select) converted to Linked to another table.
MultiSelect2Lookup - 1

This is the table where it’s linked to.
MultiSelect2Lookup - 2

So, the figures will be seperated by a comma.

@Andre_Zijlstra - that is largely what I was thinking but if you use a roll up field instead of a lookup then you can total the Values associated with each Category.

Good point!

Lookup-Rollup