Calendar enhancements ๐Ÿ“†

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

Hi all -

I hope your week is off to a great start.

Iโ€™m excited to share two new calendar enhancements that apply to both the view and the new interface element.

Cover images: similar to the gallery and kanban views, calendar will now support specifying an attachment field and rendering the first image in entries.

Customizable labels: similar to timeline and kanban views, calendar will also now support full customization of the fields displayed in entries, as well as their formatting

b48d5411feaca20f6aa0c3c10093cee0598d9fb1.png

Additional resources:

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

This will be fully rolled out today. If you donโ€™t see the changes, please clear your cache.

27 Comments
jakemmarsh
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi there,

Youโ€™re likely seeing the URL alongside your image because the attachment field is still toggled on under โ€œCustomize labelsโ€. If you toggle the field label off, it will stop showing as text and the image will remain.

As for what shows in the expanded view, weโ€™ll definitely think more about this but in the meantime you can click โ€œExpand recordโ€ to get to the full view with all fields.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Unfortunately the useful Sidebar images are lost as well as the text when the images are toggled off.

Iโ€™m hoping for the ability to see all pictures everywhere in Calendar view (Cards, Dates and Sidebar) - but have the image URL text invisible.

Further details below;

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I agree with @Karlstensโ€™ valuable feedback above.

Overall, these calendar changes are a wonderful & significant improvement, although there is still some room for improvement:

1. I would really love to see text wrapping of event titles onto multiple lines, so that we can see the full title of an event at-a-glance.

2. When viewing the list of records with dates in the right margin of the calendar view, it would be really nice if we could click on a recordโ€™s date and be taken to that particular date on the calendar. Currently, we have to manually scroll through the calendar to go to a specific date.

3. On that note, it would be nice to be able to jump to any date that we want on the calendar without scrolling.

4. Most countriesโ€™ calendar weeks start on Monday instead of Sunday. It would be nice to have this option. In fact, 80% of the countries around the world start their weeks on Monday or Tuesday instead of Sunday. The USA is one of the few countries that starts their weeks on Sundays.

5. It would be great if this bug was fixed:

1. As mentioned above by others, it is not necessary to display the word (empty) if a field is left blank.

2. URLs should not display for attachments if those URLs wonโ€™t work in November. Although maybe these URLs will continue to work for collaborators, in which case this is fine.

3. As mentioned above in other posts, improvements can be made to the first โ€œexpanded viewโ€ that you get taken to when clicking on an event.

But overall, these are relatively minor issues, and the new changes to the calendar view are absolutely fantastic! :grinning: :raised_hands:

Weโ€™re almost at a 100% perfect calendar view now, and I am super grateful for that! :cowboy_hat_face: :pray:

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Great update!

Yes. I was expecting the โ€œlabel orientationโ€ function like the Timeline view has.

YES! So many data entry mistakes happen because of this.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

The dropdown calendar for date & time fields also ignores other countries as well. The dropdown calendar always displays a USA calendar. :man_shrugging:t2:

Joe_Hewes
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

After testing this end I realise now hiding fields in the card also hides the labels on the calendar view, which is definitely not ideal for us. The two need to work independently please, or you end up with nothing on the card view but hidden fields.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Oh wow, I didnโ€™t realize this. If it acts like this, this is a big dealbreaker.

Dan from Openside also had a great suggestion that is semi-unrelated to this huge dealbreaker:

Since the event titles donโ€™t wrap text to show the full name of an event, we should at least get a tooltip that appears when we hover over the event that shows us the full titles.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Agreed on this. With a full calendar this could be incredibly helpful.

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

If the span.labelWithSeparator elements remove the white-space: nowrap; property, and make some adjustments to the when/where .truncate-block-#-lines classes get applied, then the Calendar views can achieve wrapping labels while keeping the event duration in view

Peter_Borg
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hate to be a party pooper but Joe has described exactly the problem that a client of mine has identified. And itโ€™s a big problem. They rely on sharing calendars to external users who can pop up a calendar and see only the field my client wants them to see. But they also rely on having a succinct label for that same item.

Like Joe says, control for these 2 features needs to be independent.