Exciting new additions to Interface Designer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

Hi all -

I hope the week is off to a great start.

I’m excited to share that we have some exciting additions coming to Interface Designer this week :tada:

Gallery Element in interfaces unlocks the ability for collaborators to view multiple resources, images, or other key information at once. The gallery element visually represents thumbnails of the information from a base in an easy to review display. The use cases are endless, but some top examples include:

• List of resources (for example presentations or PDFs)
  • Team directory (can add a filter element to filter by team)
  • Digital Asset Manager
  • Asset overview for launch

ca7d3fa1203030c74cfdda44f5372448091233d3.jpeg

Grouping in Record View layout is powerful for triaging through records quickly, but with grouping, we’ve made it even easier. This feature is particularly useful for creators managing large data sets and need more filtering options so that their team can easily navigate to the most relevant information. You can now group and collapse sets of data, color code them, and have up to 3 layers of grouping.

6d4ade4a64dc6bd43188ca05d6a26d47f76ad101.jpeg

Chart enhancements allow for comparative analysis. With the enhancements to the chart element, creators will be able to chart multiple segments on a single graph for comparison and further analysis. This unlocks use cases like comparing budget spend by month year to year, mapping projected revenue versus actual, or reporting on NPS scores overtime grouped by customer tier.

91c468d6afdf15f3a2544a607b140f4d09f140bf.png

With these updates, creators will now be able to understand their pie and donut charts at a glance with percentage values. With this improvement pie and donut charts will now show the % of each segment in addition to the absolute amount.

ba2279950c6dd0e7f7eb92ffb669ff9184a6046f.png

You can use these new Interface Designer features in Airtable here.

Additional resources:
Blog series: Interface Elementals
Support article: Gallery element
Support article: Multi-series line chart
Support article: Grouping in a record review layout

Let us know how you’re planning to use these features below, we can’t wait to hear!

14 Comments
Martin_Kranz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The news about Galleries in the Interface Designer this is exciting and disappointing in equal parts - when will this feature behave more like the ‘regular’ AirTable Base Gallery, which is the base for many of our day-to-day workflows. While it’s honestly awesome to see the gallery in the interface, the implementation now forces users to adjust their workflows that exist already, in many cases.

In ours particularly there is three main issues

• Galleries don’t allow manual sorting
  • Gallery Preview behaviours differs, not allowing crop/scale options
  • Gallery Pagination actually cumbersome for many image-related workflows

Any chance some of those issues are on your roadmap already?

Chris_Lam
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is the charts feature rolled out to all users yet? I can’t seem to find where to add an additional Y-Axis value.

Jordan_Scott1

Welcome to the community @Chris_Lam !

This feature should now be rolled out to all users, I would reach out to Airtable Support and they can look into your account specifically :slightly_smiling_face:

mdmtr
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Any plans to allow creating/duplicating records in grids with linked record sources?

Traci_Franssen
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Love the grouping in record review! Is there a way to collapse/uncollapse all?

Jordan_Scott1

@Martin_Kranz Thank you for sharing these issues with us, we really appreciate it! I’ve escalated these to our product team for evaluation :raised_hands:

Martin_Kranz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks Jordan, I have added a button onto the newly created Interface sending users to the old airtable experience for those tasks that are reliant on sorting and access to buttons, but it’s not really ideal as i need to send them to back and forth.

On top of the points in my original post, I have also observed strange behaviour with the gallery view when the preview image is set to a editable attachment field, it will not reliably allow for users to drag & drop images into the record to upload. This worked once or twice, but now seems to be not allow me to add files directly by dragging them (which is a real shame)

Also, i dont seem to have multi-line chart options enabled? Is that possible

Jordan_Scott1

@Martin_Kranz thanks for this, the images part seems like a bug, I’ll get this over to the team now.

In terms of the multi-line chart feature, the way to do this is to group them!

David_Solimini
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m just sitting here hitting refresh until Interfaces has a “new record” button. Until then, the entire thing is pretty much pointless for me/us.

Jaime_Andres_Fe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks Jordan. Is there any chance that you will let connect more than one filter to an element? Now we can only connect one filter and sometimes you have more than one type of filter; I think i’ll be very useful.