Launched: conditional form field visibility

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

It’s here! You can now configure form fields so that they display or hide based on the submitter’s responses in previous fields.

conditional-form-response

Here’s how to use it in the form builder:

1. Underneath the field title/description, turn ON the toggle switch labeled “Show field only when conditions are met.”
  2. Choose another field and the value or condition it should meet.
  3. Like with filters, you can add as many conditions as you’d like to a field.

And here’s some useful tips:

• You can chain together multiple conditional form fields in a sequence—i.e., use one conditional form field as the condition for another form field
  • You can make conditional form fields required! When a conditional form field is set as required, it is hidden by default until its condition is met. Once its condition is met, the form will still require it to be filled for submission.

More information can be found in the conditional form fields support article.

26 Comments
RoW
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I wanted to add that: I tried to set a Default value for the field, but, if I do not “open” the conditional field, in the new record that is created after “submit”, the field is empty and not auto-filled with the Default value. Is it normal or it is a bug?

Benjamin_Watrou
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Was this ever resolved?

Benjamin_Watrou
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Mark. This was from a while ago, but do you know if Airtable solved this where a prefilled field in a form can be used to configure conditional form fields?

Mark_Barnes

We gave up waiting for this to be fixed, so it’s not something I’ve looked at for several months.

Benjamin_Watrou
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Seems like this would be an intuitive, almost automatic feature, since conditional form fields are dependent on previous fields :face_with_raised_eyebrow: . Like you, it renders Airtable’s forms somewhat useless for me. It could have enhanced the user friendliness of conditional form fields, especially when records are associated, but need to be differentiated for different user inputs. Thanks for the update!

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

the work around they provided is automations. You can use the when a form is submitted trigger to prefill it with static values, You can use the when a record matches conditions trigger if you need to prefill it with dynamic values.

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

im confused as to how your form is built you would need this functionality. maybe if your forms are that specific and dynamic its time for a portal.

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

could we get an update from your product team?

Benjamin_Watrou
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Rebecca. You may be right about a portal. I need fields that only show up, dependent on other table’s records. Ideally, from multiple tables to include user data and item data on the table where the form is located. I figured prefilling fields on a form would allow subsequent conditional form fields to generate the appropriate form fields for the condition(s). I’m afraid an automation occurs after the form is submitted, which wouldn’t populate the appropriate fields for users in the first place. What kind of portal would work in this case?

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

im confused because i have had this work before. I just tested it and it does work. can I see your prefill URL?