Help

New Feature: Advanced Filtering

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

We are excited to announce that as of today, advanced filters are available in Airtable!

What are advanced filters?

Advanced filters allow Airtable users to reflect both ‘AND’ and “OR” conditions in a single filter configuration. This provides more flexibility and customizability to filter the information in your views.

You can get started with advanced filters today, we can’t wait to hear what you think!

Related resources:

Common questions:

Where are advanced filters currently integrated within the Product?

You can currently access advanced filtering in many areas where filtering is available within the product:

What if I try adding a condition to a nested condition group and make a mistake? Is there a way to revert back to the original?

You can easily rearrange, add, or remove conditions, from any of your condition groups. However, if you are in the process of building a new view and are playing around with filters, we recommend creating a duplicate view first so you can change things up without affecting any ongoing workflows or other collaborators.

What are best practices in migrating my current filter configurations to advanced filter options?

Advanced filters will not change any of the filtering conditions you previously had set up in your views. However, you will be able to add new condition groups—the world is now your oyster!

Using our product example above, imagine a customer comes in asking for either a:

1. A living room piece, or alternatively,
  2. Something made of wood, above a price point of $3,500 per unit, that is in stock now.

Advanced filters can help you quickly get to the data you need. Here is a visual for the scenario we just described:

f8d5cd7737f2b52cc4bf9132a24d31b4e04ec79c.png

Will I be able to copy view configurations that have advanced filters?

Yes, you can copy a configuration from one view to another. Either follow the procedure described in this article, or click on the “Copy from another view” option at the bottom of the filter menu:

ec49d51d318668a03696be14cab7b756d7194276.png

18 Comments
DIGINAUTAS
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Airtable has neglected the mobile experience for years, which makes no sense since the vast majority of people use mobile devices to access the Internet.

People have been begging Airtable to fix this particular problem for ages, but Airtable ignores most user requests.

Will the experience of filters and searches be introduced in mobile or not?

People need this function urgently.

Please don’t give us a default answer.

Adam_Minich
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @DIGINAUTAS,

Welcome to the community! You can find our guidelines and FAQ’s here.

The advanced filtering feature is slowly being rolled out on mobile. Our apologies that it isn’t available to all users just yet, but you can expect that this feature will be fully supported on both iOS and Android apps at some point down the road. Our support article on mobile filtering calls this out.

Hope this information helps you have confidence that we are listening and have a core group of folks who are always working to improve the mobile experience.

Olpy_Acaflo
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi @Adam_Minich

Airtable Community has been given a new lease on life since the arrival of @Jordan_Scott1 , @Aron , more recently @Albrey_Bristo-Brown and their Contributors like @Rose_K and you!
No Community Members are not left behind by the staff and today even less than ever.
Airtable Support recently helped me a big lot too !
It’s a good idea I think to have a layer of staff between the Developers and us because while I had a lot of interest in talking directly with one and then the other Developer at the launch of Scripting App on February 20, 2020 and during the following months, I don’t feel it’s the best idea to take them away from their ongoing development to converse directly with us.
But having an interface between them and us seems very beneficial: I have never discovered as many new features that improve my airtable workflow as I have recently.
I also regret not being able to use Airtable as an Author/Creator from my Mobile, but I prefer that the deeper layers of the product continue to evolve as quickly and as relevantly.

oLπ

Claudia_Berman
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Thank you! I reworked our workflow with this new feature in several areas. This greatly improved our productivity.

gdewey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

pleasee give us relative filters for dates and logged in users :raised_hands:

if date = Today, week, month, year, yesterday etc
if colaborator = logged in user

FilterByFeature
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I hope that doing regular basic filtering of XYZ for example is not this complicated. And that this complexity is only for combinatorial type of filters

Rachel_Penner

This is great functionality, except for one detail: the logic of “and” and “or” is sometimes reversed in a very bizarre way.

In the provided example of the customer looking for one of two options, the nested condition should be “and” based on what the customer is looking for (must be wood AND must be above $3,500 AND must be in stock). I’m really struggling to wrap my head around this.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

100% this. Filters needed (that aren’t relative to Today() but rather the active month/year),

• This Month
  • This Year
  • Last Month
  • Last Year
  • Next Month
  • Next Year

Icing on the cake would be;

• (number of) months ago (relative to the active month)
  • (number of) years ago (relative to the active year)

And being able to filter/select/inverse select in between the two.

These would save me having to add extra formula fields in all of my bases that need these filters (that I honestly believe should be a given in such a product as Airtable)