New features in Interface Forms

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carla
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi everyone! I'm Carla and I am a Software Engineer at Airtable. I'm thrilled to share four new updates to forms in Interfaces that are now available to all Airtable customers! These changes make forms more powerful and allow you to create more sophisticated workflows while simplifying the experience for people using your apps.

Blog Banner_1600x968@2x.png

🎯Conditional Fields: Now you can add rules to show and hide fields in a form based on how your users have filled out earlier fields. You can now support more complicated workflows with Interfaces forms, yet your users will only have to fill out the fields relevant to them. 

conditional-fields.gif

🔒Limiting Select Options: Take complete control over the available select options in forms. You can now determine which single or multi-select choices are accessible, ensuring a streamlined experience for your users. Say goodbye to unnecessary options cluttering up the form!

limit-select-options (1).gif

📝 Read-only Default Values: Provide valuable context to your users while maintaining control over specific form fields. You can pre-fill fields with default values that users cannot modify to help guide your users through the form while providing them with relevant information.

read-only-default-values (1).gif

💡Helper Text: You can now add helpful instructions or guidance to your form fields. This allows you to provide additional context, examples, or instructions to assist users in filling out the form accurately and efficiently.

helpertext.gif

With these updates, we're making Interface forms more powerful and user-friendly. We are committed to continuously refining and expanding the features available in Airtable, and we hope these changes improve your experience with the platform.

Stay tuned for more exciting updates in the future and let us know how we could improve Interface Forms even further in the comments!

23 Comments
carla
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Databaser , @Karlstens, we’re currently exploring how to bring features like these to forms that you can share outside of Interfaces (which would mean that Airtable licenses are not necessarily required to view and submit those forms). Stay tuned for further updates!

carla
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Joe_Svingala Thanks you for the feedback. Limiting the users who can be selected in a collaborator field  is on our roadmap and you can expect to see an update on this in the future.

We’re also actively working on changes that include an update to the required field indicator (*).

carla
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @BillH thank you for the feedback. We wanted to share that pre-filling Interface Forms via URL is something we’re actively working on, keep an eye out for an update very soon!

carla
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Stephen_Orr1 We hear the request for conditional dropdown values and while we have nothing to share at the moment, we agree that this would be a valuable improvement to how forms work in Airtable. Thank you for the feedback!

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

@carla , great.

Any updates perhaps on letting external users edit Interface data without having to pay $ 240 a year? I still refuse to believe that all those major enterprises that are Airtable customers don't have a need to let external suppliers, clients, marketing agencies, ... input/edit data that way without having to spend a crazy amount of money. Just let users pay $$ in tiers for that ability. 

Astatsa
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you! This will be so helpful!

DavidVM
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It would be helpful to allow a redirect upon Interface form submissions. I would like an Interface form submission to trigger a webhook, but that doesn't appear possible directly. 

BillH
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@carla 

I've noticed that upon completion my forms are just showing an empty looking screen with no options other than to enter another form.  While I can edit the message I can't do anything to redirect the form.  

I was hoping that additional changes would continue to move in a positive direction, but to be honest this isn't positive.  It's another step backwards.

There should be some way to redirect upon completion, at least to a page on the interface itself.

spancakes
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@carla We really need the ability to "add option" in Interface Forms. I can do this in "expand record details" but not under forms. Some situations only allow you to create new records by forms.

Expand Record DetailsInterface Forms
Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 2.58.00 PM.png Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 2.57.50 PM.png

OmarElsiefy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Carla, 
First, I hope you're doing well.

We use interface forms to add new articles, and we have some fields pre-filled with default answers, and they are set to be edited in case the default value doesn't apply here. (See screenshot)

Airtable Error Message.pngWhen I try to edit those pre-filled fields, the form closes and I get an error saying "Internal error. Try closing the pop-up" and after that I can't open the form again. What can I do to avoid this because at the moment, I tried refreshing the page, closing the tab and nothing gets me back unless I completely sign-out of airtable.

Airtable Form Settinga.png

More context on how we use Airtable below:

We've been using Airtable for our Media company and everyone absolutely loves it.

Each team (ex. writers or designers) each have their own interface, with different fields and so on. New articles were added in from the main base either in-line or through a form.

Since the base is very messy with lots of fields, we want to stop using it, and instead use forms within the interface.