New: Print Interfaces pages or save them as a PDF

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello! I’m Ayesha, a Product Manager here at Airtable. We’re so excited to share an improvement to interfaces that will let you print some layouts or save them as PDFs.

pdf-export (1).png

What can you print or save as a PDF?

For certain Interface layouts, you’ll now be able to easily print interface pages or save them as PDFs.

We currently support the following layouts:

• List
  • Timeline
  • Calendar
  • Record Details
    • Individual record detail pages
    • Up to 100 record detail pages in one PDF
  • Charts

We’ve also made some improvements to printing views from the Data tab as well for Calendar and List.

How do you print?

There are two ways a user can trigger an export in Interfaces: by hitting Cmd/Ctrl + P, and by clicking the “Print” option at the top of the page under the “...” menu. 

You can also choose “Format for printing” to help print-outs be more legible. This will change the background and border colors of records to make it a bit easier to read.

What is not supported yet?

• Print for Timeline view in the Data tab
  • Print for Grid and Gallery layouts in Interfaces
  • More than 100 record details
  • Automation support for generating PDFs
  • Other export formats, like PNG or CSV

If you have feedback on what would be helpful for us to support next, please let us know so we can prioritize accordingly.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think, please let us know if you have any questions.

This update is rolling out to customers over the next couple of weeks. If you’re an enterprise customer, please reach out to your account manager with any questions.

31 Comments
Gavin_Wright
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Ayesha_Bose So happy to see this feature rolled out. I am running across two issues when printing a full set of records to PDF:

1. If any record text or content (like a single select field pill) carries over from one page to the next, it gets cut off. 
  2. The full content of a Long Text field is not displayed for some records. Instead, the heading of the next record in the list is displayed.

Both of these issues are present in the screenshot below. If there are workarounds for either/both, please let me know. Otherwise, please make this a priority to address as soon as possible, as I am unable to use this functionality currently. Thanks!

image - 2023-08-29T155944.749.png

Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Gavin_Wright! We have a fix going out later today for some of content cut-off issues you described. And next week we plan to release more improvements to page breaks and content boundaries.

Thanks, and please let us know if you come across any more issues like this.

Gavin_Wright
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Matt_Bush The most recent update has made things worse, unfortunately. Text content and select fields are no longer being cut off, but headings still are. There are also now fields being omitted entirely for some records and page breaks/significant margins between records where the solution for content cutoff between pages has been implemented.

There should be a "Program Details" Long Text field displayed below the Start/End Dates in the screenshot below, but it is not there. The same field from the previous record can be seen cut off at the top of the screenshot, while the heading for the next record is cut off at the page break. 

image - 2023-09-01T092059.485.png

Katheryn_Zhao
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Gavin_Wright, we are releasing more improvements to page breaks this week which should address the issue you're describing. Please let us know if these issues persist for you after this week. 

Gavin_Wright
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Katheryn_Zhao The cutoff issues on page breaks have been resolved with the latest update. There is still a significant amount of white space between some fields/records, though. 

image - 2023-09-08T164043.817.pngimage - 2023-09-08T164042.047.png 

Also, the second issue with the inconsistent display of the content in long-text fields still persists - in some instances in my export the full content is there. In others, it is cut off. Is there a limit set on the height for records that will export to PDF? 

image - 2023-09-08T164045.246.png

Thank you all for your ongoing support and attention to this feature. It will be a gamechanger for us once these kinks are worked out. 

travelnsam
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Really excited to hear about this feature! Have been waiting, hoping this would land! Apologies if this is a silly question, but in your post (and the blog announcing this feature)it mentions one of the supported layouts being:

• Record Details
    • Individual record detail pages
    • Up to 100 record detail pages in one PDF

If I try to create a new interface, the layout options include "Record review" and "Record summary", but not "Record Details". I had assumed that this just meant the panel showing the record details (ie when you click on a record in the list in "Record review") - but neither our existing nor newly created interfaces have the "..." button to choose to print.

Am I misunderstanding something perhaps?

Sam

UPDATE: I now realise that "Record detail" is a newer option that can be enabled within an interface, so apologies. However, I do still have a question if there were plans to extend the PDF/print feature to the Record Review layout, which provides a lot more options with laying out fields?

ag_uchicago
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Ayesha_Bose I'm interested in seeing this feature extended to the "Record Summary" interface layout.

mwinterm69
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hiya!
We love this feature and have so many use cases for it. Currently we are seeing that even using the "x l" row height, that text is being cropped both in the first column, but also in some of the fields. Would be good if this could dynamically print to fit. I have "printed" this pdf at 70% so this would attempt to fit on the page:

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 4.06.35 PM.png

Toxicsquall
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How can I export the interface into a PDF merging the PDF attached into the interface?

Shay_W
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello there, I can't even see the "..." menu in my interface to see the print option, it doesn't show up. Help please!

Also, for our workflow it is absolutely CRITICAL that grid views are printable at minimal and being able to generate formatted PDFs to export in a nicely fully formatted way would be even better. 

Can you PLEASE allow a good looking print of grid view from interface that's not as horrible as the current print view from airtable???