New: Print Interfaces pages or save them as a PDF

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello! I’m Ayesha, a Product Manager here at Airtable. We’re so excited to share an improvement to interfaces that will let you print some layouts or save them as PDFs.

pdf-export (1).png

What can you print or save as a PDF?

For certain Interface layouts, you’ll now be able to easily print interface pages or save them as PDFs.

We currently support the following layouts:

• List
  • Timeline
  • Calendar
  • Record Details
    • Individual record detail pages
    • Up to 100 record detail pages in one PDF
  • Charts

We’ve also made some improvements to printing views from the Data tab as well for Calendar and List.

How do you print?

There are two ways a user can trigger an export in Interfaces: by hitting Cmd/Ctrl + P, and by clicking the “Print” option at the top of the page under the “...” menu. 

You can also choose “Format for printing” to help print-outs be more legible. This will change the background and border colors of records to make it a bit easier to read.

What is not supported yet?

• Print for Timeline view in the Data tab
  • Print for Grid and Gallery layouts in Interfaces
  • More than 100 record details
  • Automation support for generating PDFs
  • Other export formats, like PNG or CSV

If you have feedback on what would be helpful for us to support next, please let us know so we can prioritize accordingly.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think, please let us know if you have any questions.

This update is rolling out to customers over the next couple of weeks. If you’re an enterprise customer, please reach out to your account manager with any questions.

31 Comments
Gavin_Wright
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hate to continue commenting here, but things are getting worse instead of better for this functionality. There are now repeating/overlaid elements from each record. See below:

image - 2023-09-29T143113.385.png

Are there any updates on a fix? Or are there any recommendations for other settings to follow to get the print output to work? Thanks so much.

M_Behar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Ayesha_Bose I'm also not seeing the print option in my "..." interface menu in order to attempt to PDF that way. I'm experiencing the same issues with only the immediate section I can see in the visible interface page showing up in a PDF the manual way and no additional pages with the rest of the content. Is the PDF feature only for Enterprise customers or is this for all on the paid plans?

Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@M_Behar the PDF feature is for all plans. If you aren't seeing the Print option in your "..." menu, then you may be using a page layout or view type that doesn't yet support printing. See Ayesha's original post to see which layouts are supported.

Daniel_Rieger
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey, 

I noticed there isn't support for generating these with automations yet, wondering if maybe there is a way to do it with a script?

Right now I generate google docs with an automation and then convert it to a PDF by adding "/export?format=pdf" to the end of the URL, then use a button script to use the URL to populate an attachment field. Would be nice if I could do this more simply! 

Happy to wait for it to be implemented in automations, just wanted to check if there are any scripting capabilities at this point! 

CAP17
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Seconding the need to print more than just the visible page area! I am trying to use this to see PDF's of Timeline views and it's not capturing nearly all of my data. Would love if this could create a large PDF page with all my records on it. Without this ability for the PDF to be dynamic, I'm better off taking screenshots. Thank you!

Devorah_Henders

Can you explain how this Record Details print function works?

Similar to another user, I also had the confusion, I also noted the layout options of "Record Review" and "Record Summary" but not "Record Details", neither of which give the option to print.  It looks like the other user figured out how to get to "Record Details" as some option within the interface, but I am not clear what that is or how to get to it.

Thanks

CorporateUser
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We need automation support for generating PDFs and sending PDFs. When will this functionality be made available? Our company only allows airtable automations and extensions.

jjustinschultz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Like other users have mentioned, since the Page Designer updates, there are no layouts called "Record Details" anymore. There is only Record Review, Record Summary, or Record Picker (as an element), none of which create the "..." to choose the option to print or save to PDF. 

What layout options currently support Printing/PDF saving?

(Also this article talks about the ability to save a PDF, but gives no instructions)

Bettina_Horvat1

Same issue that @jjustinschultz just mentioned. I do not see any option in any of my record views, either one record or multiple. Can someone from Airtable please explain how to do this or has it been stopped? @Ayesha_Bose 

David_Phelps
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am not seeing the "..." option or the ability to Print an interface view. Has this feature changed or been deprecated? I am using a basic List element in the inteface -- nothing fancy.