Help

Re: Add Linked Record to a Parent Table from Another Child Linked Record - Button Trigger

596 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aden
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer here. I have tried with some scripts, but am lost at this stage, and maybe my approach is all wrong.

I have a table called 'Projects' which is my primary table. I have two columns in 'Projects' that are linked record type fields. One is called 'Meetings' and it links to a another (child) table where I capture meeting notes, attendees and the date. The other linked record type column in 'Projects' is called 'Tasks' and it is where I record actions for each project row, assign an owner, set a due date, etc.

When I am on the 'Projects' tab and click to expand a linked 'Meeting' record that has been created, I can see the fields and input information mentioned. I have also created a button in the 'Meetings' table which shows on the pop-up that says 'Add Task".

I am hoping that from clicking this button I can close the expanded 'Meetings' view, and trigger to create create a 'Task' linked record (per the same row I am working in). So, I am hoping to create an automation that allows we to generate a record in the other related table which automatically is associated to the same to of the parent (Project).

I hope I have explained that well, and hoping the explanation is clear.

Following are some images of the setup. Image 1 shows the 'Projects' table and linked records. Image 2 and 3 show the 'Meetings' and 'Tasks' tables. Image 3 shows the pop-up screen in 'Meetings' with the button that I would like to create a new task from in the parent (Projects) linked table.

Any help would be appreciated, and maybe there is a smarter way, of course.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.09.01 am.pngScreenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.09.18 am.pngScreenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.09.31 am.pngScreenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.09.47 am.png

2 Replies 2
Georgedu66
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I don't think you can automate this kind of operation, it would be cool if this kind of programming was present on the platform. I'd also like to automate my projects and my github for a specific subject (in this case AI) or anything containing the keyword I want to be added.

I'm also waiting for an answer to this question.

George from www.cadeau-naruto.com

corb1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I think this may be possible by using the Script extension. Your script would need to ...

• capture the recordID of the active project (for later use in creating the task)
  • prompt the user for task metadata in a new window, and capture the relevant data in variables
  • Call the necessary insert at the end of the script to insert new task

https://support.airtable.com/docs/scripting-extension-overview