Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Airtable Email Automation

Solved
Jump to Solution
1910 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sadia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Airtable Community,

I have two table named "Task Assignment" and "Employees". I have linked the Employees table to the Task Assignment table using a linked record called "Assignee". Now I want to send an email every time I add a task inside the "Task Assignment" table. I have added a lookup field in the "Task Assignment" but is is not available in the automations.

Please let me know how to tackle the issue. Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Sadia,

It may be due to the fact that Assignee is designed after the creation on the record in the "Task assignement" table.

You can modify the trigger this way:

Pascal_Gallais_0-1720517491205.png

Hence, when a record is updated on table "Task assigment", Assignee (your linked field to Employees table) being the field to be watched.

This way, you make sure that mail address does exist when the automation is triggered.

Regards

Pascal

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5

Hello Sadia,

It looks like that in your table "Task assignement" you do have the linked field "Assignee" which, I suppose, is linked to table "Employees".

But I think you are missing a rollup field in this "Task assignement" table to get the mail address of each "Assignee". If you add this rollup field you will then be able to use its value in your automation.

Here are a few screen captures to demonstrate:

Pascal_Gallais_0-1720513691899.png

Table "Contact" is similar to your "Employees" table, with a mail adress for each person.

Pascal_Gallais_1-1720513801384.png

Table Company is similar to your "Task assignement" table, each record being linked to "Contact" table.

Field Mail is a rollup from contact table:

Pascal_Gallais_2-1720513921628.png

I can then define an automation:

Pascal_Gallais_3-1720514007234.png

Trigger: New record in table "Company"

Action send mail to field{Mail}.Value

Regards

Pascal

sadia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello Pascal, thank you for the quick response. I just added a rollup field and tested the automation. When I test the automation itself it works. But when I try to trigger it from adding a new task the rollup field is unavailable in the automtion. I will attach a ss for reference. I appreciate your help. Thanks 

sadia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can you please try to trigger the automation by adding a new task and let me know if it works. Thank you

sadia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have also tried the lookup field similar to what you have as "Mail" by adding a field "Assignee Email" from the "Assignee" field. But the lookup field is not available in the automation when I trigger it by adding a new task. Altough the automation works when I test it from the automation panel itself but the lookup fields are always empty when I try to trigger it from the Task Assignment table by adding a new row. Please let me know if you can guide me on this.

Regards

Sadia

Hello Sadia,

It may be due to the fact that Assignee is designed after the creation on the record in the "Task assignement" table.

You can modify the trigger this way:

Pascal_Gallais_0-1720517491205.png

Hence, when a record is updated on table "Task assigment", Assignee (your linked field to Employees table) being the field to be watched.

This way, you make sure that mail address does exist when the automation is triggered.

Regards

Pascal