1246 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MayB
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, please help me with this automation. For added info, this is created on a Base within a workspace on a Pro plan. All members on this Base are part of this Workspace as creators.

I want to assign a record to a member of my team based off another field's data. We operate in several markets (UK, Nordics, US, etc) and different team members work with different regions. When a record is created with a region, I want to automatically assign the relevant team member to that record.

I have tried this multiple ways, and the only one that seems to make sense is the following, which isnt working. I have created multiple automations (1 for each market to assign to the right person)

Trigger: When a record matches conditions

Table: Table 1

Conditions: When market is (market name) - for this example "UK"

Step 2: Update Record

Table: Table 1

Record ID: "Assigned to | Name"

Fields: Assigned to: (appropriate name selected)

I continue getting the error "received invalid inputs" which doesnt really tell me what I am doing wrong.

6 Replies 6
olafjasiniak
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would try creating a table with all your team members and allocate them to regions, roles etc.

This way you won't need an automation for each market, but just one that will search for the proper person to assign to

Yes but we want to keep it all centralized. We used to have it that way but having 5+ forms/tables for people to go to and fill out depending on the market, and then working between different areas, wasnt effective.

Assigning people to a record seems like a pretty basic thing though? 

olafjasiniak

From what I understand you wouldn't need to have users interact with the "Team members" table (unless there are a lot of new members joining all the time). Just set up the structure once and connect the automation. 

Maybe I don't get the full context and could help you more with some screenshots or recordings 🤔

I mean I cant get this automation in a single table setup. I feel like that just makes it more complicated. Is there another way to accomplish my goal?

olafjasiniak

You can also use lookup fields, so assign a member to the region, then add a lookup field.

Generally I've found creating a more complex base schema with tables that serve as "dictionaries" to be easier to work with and automate than using single select fields. By using lookups and rollups you can display all the necessary data immediately in your main table

olafjasiniak

In the meantime one more thing came to mind - you could create a formula field with some Switch of If statements and then set up an automation that will parse this value to your desired field