Help

Re: Automating Data From One Table to Another, Automation Shown As Having Worked, Yet Field Is Empty

742 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tahir_Jetter
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey All,

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm having a ridiculous amount of trouble. 

To replicate the same problem I'm having, I'm creating an automation in which I would like to make it so when a record is created in the Test Base table, it automatically ports that name over to the Students' Test Names table. 

As you'll see, Airtable says the automation ran, but it only pulls in the new REC ID of the record that's been created and not the Student's Name, despite the fact that I think I mapped both, and the "result" shows that it has added the associated student's name, as well as the REC ID. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 10.49.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 10.49.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 10.49.52 AM.png

  

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 10.50.09 AM.png

3 Replies 3

Yah, that's because at the point of manual record creation via a View Grid, a record is empty at its point of creation - triggering the automation whilst in its empty state, resulting in empty data.

There's been much discussion around this problem, so it's worth searching the forums and reading up on the various methods that you may use to address this.

If your users are entering in data via a View Form or an Interface Form, then your automation will work as expected on that form entered data.

Or if users are using the Grid View to enter data, then you're going to need a different trigger mechanism to use so that your automation only triggers on existing data (rather than data that's about to exist, but as it doesn't, results in an empty data payload).

Feel free to ask questions if you need further help finding a more specific solution.

Yeah, I was worried about that, thanks. I was wondering if doing some kind of lookup or adding a step in or something to create a delay, then adding something like a “if this record is not empty” condition and hoping that that might work.

Thanks!

Yah, it can be as simple as creating a tick-box field that the users checks when they're ready to submit their record to the automation.

Another method discussed is with a bit of formula field trickery, you can have the automation trigger 5 minutes after record inactivity.

I use both of the above in their various forms.