Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Automation fails due to insufficient permissions on only one instance

Topic Labels: Automations
541 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NanMel
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello! 
I've read through other messages and some how-to's and I'm hitting a wall with on automation I have set up. 

I have an automation set up to track my apartment cleaning tasks. 

When a record is created in the Cleaning Tracker table [TRIGGER], the automation:

1. finds the records in a different table (Rooms to Clean) to add the new task to where the name contains the same Month and Room/Area as the created record. 

2. finds all the records in the Cleaning Tracker that have the same Month and Room/Area as the one just created

IF the record doesn't already exist:

create a new record in Rooms to Clean

IF the record does exist (record length >= 1)

update the record with all of the records that have the same Month and Room/Area

This automation works great with every room's task EXCEPT for bathroom tasks. Whenever a record with the Room/Area bathroom in it get's created, the automation fails at the update record step and kicks out an insufficient permissions error. 

I'm the owner and only collaborator on this base, and since it works with all the other Room/Areas, I'm a bit stumped as to why this is causing a failure. Has anyone run into this before or have any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

6 Replies 6
Saravanan_009
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I’m also facing issues sometimes. Could you please try deleting the automation section and then create the automation again?

Hard to tell what's missing here.

I'd check the details of the bathroom records specifically. Looking out for any spelling errors or added spaces " " at the ends of strings etc. It may be that it's unable to find matches in your conditions.

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/

Could you provide some screenshots of the relevant tables, the automation setup, and an example of some data that fails the run?

Hello @TheTimeSavingCo 

Screenshots:

Table that triggers the automation: 

NanMel_2-1723129204487.png

Table that should receive the automation info: 

NanMel_3-1723129318720.png

Automation set up: 

NanMel_4-1723129357886.png

Failed update:

NanMel_0-1723128899237.png

Successful update:

NanMel_1-1723128980332.png

The first table is a synched table so I could use the formula field as the name to specifically put emoji, then month, then room, then task. I've set up this type of automation on other things and it works great. And in fact this one works well for every task except for when the word bathroom is in the name. 

I've checked out the details of the bathroom record specifically, like @Sistema_Aotearo suggested. There aren't spelling errors or extra spaces. HOWEVER -- an odd thing that came up while I was checking this: at one point I changed it to read RESTROOM and the automation worked with no errors. When I changed it back to Bathroom, it failed due to insufficient permissions again. 

I'm going to rebuild the automation, as @Saravanan_009 suggested, and report back! 

Thanks for all y'alls help thus far! 

Is the primary field of "Steps in Cleaning Room" a formula field / calculated field of some sort?  If so, you'll need the values you're pushing into it to match exactly to the existing primary field values in "Steps in Cleaning Room"

I suspect the primary field values in "Steps in Cleaning Room" are using the "Restroom" instead of "Bathroom"?

NanMel

"Steps in Cleaning Room" is initially a calculated field, but I have the table that things get entered into sync to the base where the automation is triggered to get around the calculation issue. When the Room/Area field was changed from bathroom to restroom, the primary field also changed. The values are indeed exact. 

The mystery is that that automation works for all other values of the rooms, but not for bathroom, and that the error specifically is lack of permissions.

I deleted all the bathroom records and then re-entered them and tested the automation to trigger it manually. I'll step away from this for a bit and then come back; hopefully this fixes it but maybe Airtable doesn't like a potty-mouth!