284 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobby_Gay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have two tables in a base named Appointments and Revenue. I use Zapier to send appointments and transactions from my CRM to Airtable. The appointment records include a Technician Name. The revenue transactions do not and cannot include a Technician Name. They both, however contain a Job # field.

I'd like to create an automation that is triggered when a new revenue record is created. It would look into the appointment table to find the Job # that corresponds to the Job # in the revenue record and returns the Technician Name from the appointment record and populates a Technician Name field in the revenue record.

Can anyone tell me how to do this (assuming it is possible)? Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a pretty standard automation -

Trigger: When a record is created 

Action 1: Find records in technician table where job # matches job # from trigger

Action 2: update (linked record field) technician with record found in Action 1.  Best Practice and an IF statement around action 2.  IF # of records found = 1 then do the update.  This will keep your automation from failing if there is nothing found. Next, I would say if no records found send me a slack to find out why.

Dan, again thank you. I am new to automations with airtable, so I'm getting hung up. I have successfully created a trigger for when a Revenue record is created. I have been able to create a Find, in the Appointments table, the Job #.

Bobby_Gay_0-1708035509728.png

In the Find Records function I have created a condition where Job # is not empty and the Technician name is not empty.

Bobby_Gay_1-1708035663867.png

That action passed the test

My problem is with the Update Record action. My goal is to grab the Technician Name value from the Appointments table and update the Revenue record Technician Name value with the same. I don't understand how to select the correct Record ID and Fields. I have Technician Name fields in both Appointments (which is populated) and a Technician Name field in Revenue (which is blank). 

To make things a little simpler, I renamed the two fields: TechA Name (for Appointments) and TechR Name. Can you give me some more guidance?

Bobby_Gay_2-1708036477527.png

Thank you!

Bobby

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

It looks like you are trying to update the records from the find instead of the recordID of the triggering record.  Then your TecRName field should get the "list of techA Name"

Hi Bobby, I've set up what I think you're looking for here

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 10.58.58 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 10.59.03 AM.png
It's pretty much what Dan mentioned, but I didn't build the best practice bit as I'm running late heh

You can duplicate the base to your own workspace so that you can play with it and figure out how stuff works!

Thank you! I will give this a try later.